Search

Betrayed postal staff will strike once more’

PUBLISHED: 16:39 13 May 2009 | UPDATED: 16:40 25 August 2010

POSTAL workers are preparing to strike again after accusing the government of running Royal Mail into the ground to make privatisation look better.

POSTAL workers are preparing to strike again after accusing the government of 'running Royal Mail into the ground' to make privatisation look better.

Following a ballot on Tuesday, the London membership of the Communications Workers Union (CWU) said industrial action was a "means necessary to preserve Royal Mail as a respected and cherished public service."

The wildcat threats come after Labour rebels were defeated in the House of Lords earlier this week over Business Secretary Lord Mandelson's Postal Services Bill to part privatise the publicly owned company.

The government maintains it needs to sell off at least 30 per cent of Royal Mail for £3 billion to bail out the pension deficit of £6 billion.

During the debate Lord Mandelson argued that email is killing the company and said it was time to modernise.

Five branches in Bexley and Greenwich were earmarked for closure in January last year including: Blackheath Hill, Blackheath; Brampton Road, Bexleyheath; High Street, Eltham; Plumstead Common Road, Plumstead and Woolwich Road, Greenwich.

Lord Mandelson said: "Our goal is to put a publicly-owned Royal Mail on a clear and swift path to modernisation and, in so doing, to secure the future of the universal postal service."

But postal staff accused the government of trying to trick the public.

CWU spokesperson for London, Martin Walsh, said: "It is clear that Royal Mail is deliberately running down the service ahead of partial privatisation.

"The strike ballot in London is about defending the future of Royal Mail and the services it provides to the public, as well as protecting our members against Royal Mail's slash-and-burn policy to rubbish the system so privatisation looks better. The public are a lot more sophisticated and won't fall for that old trick."

The Bill will have its third reading in the House of Lords this Wednesday before being passed to the House of Commons for debate.

A Royal Mail spokesperson said: "Royal Mail urges the CWU to call off their ballot. We have been open with our people that modernisation means fewer jobs and our strong record shows that when we have to reduce jobs, we have done so through natural turnover and voluntary redundancy.

"Royal Mail has not forced anyone who is full-time to work part-time and nor will we. With our firm commitment to a six-days-a-week Universal Service to all addresses, we will continue to be one of the largest employers in London and the country."

katherine.nelson@archant.co.uk

0 comments

Latest Bexley news

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our Met Office video forecast.

Friday, October 19, 2018

Jamie Brown of Archant Local Impact explains how you can build brand awareness.

Friday, October 19, 2018

A Welling church was delighted to present representatives from the emergency services with cheques totalling an amazing £6,054 after its annual teddy bear charity appeal.

Friday, October 19, 2018

Following the incredible sell-out stage success of Not Dead Enough, The Perfect Murder and Dead Simple, the number one best-selling author Peter James is back with a spine-tingling new world premiere play, The House On Cold Hill, coming to the Orchard Theatre in January.

Thursday, October 18, 2018

A police officer based in Bexley has been served a final warning after he allegedly placed a man in a choke hold during a fight.

Thursday, October 18, 2018

Bexley’s NHS services will receive more than £900,000 of extra funding this winter to help alleviate growing pressures on our hospitals, the Department for Health announced yesterday (Wednesday, October 17).

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

People who live, work and travel across Kent, Thurrock, Essex and beyond are being invited to shape plans for Britain’s biggest road tunnel as Highways England hostrf the first of 60 public engagement events on the multi-billion pound Lower Thames Crossing project this week (Tuesday 16 October).

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

“Devastating” plans for a house of multiple occupancy in Sidcup have been approved despite pleas by residents.

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24