Search

Bexley Council shy away from open democracy despite government guidance

PUBLISHED: 15:17 20 June 2013 | UPDATED: 15:17 20 June 2013

Eric Pickles. Picture: PA/ Suzanne Plunkett

Eric Pickles. Picture: PA/ Suzanne Plunkett

PA Wire/Press Association Images

Members of the public still will not be able to film Bexley Council meetings despite guidance from the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government to allow it.

That enforcement was put into practice at a meeting last night when Nicholas Dowling was threatened with ejection after he said he wanted to make an audio recording of the proceedings.

Eric Pickles MP said last week: “Council meetings are public meetings. I want to stand up for the rights of journalists and taxpayers to scrutinise and challenge the laws of the state.

“Modern technology has created a new cadre of bloggers and hyper-local journalists, and councils should open their digital doors and not cling to analogue interpretations of council rules.”

But the council will continue to prohibit audio and visual recording due to concerns over people, including members of the public, being filmed without their consent.

A council spokeswoman said: “Such recordings are not permitted without prior approval, so as to prevent people from being filmed without their consent, including members of the public.

“The option of webcasting has been discussed and will be considered over the coming year – ahead of the move to the former Woolwich building next year.”

At last night’s (June 19) public realm overview and scrutiny committee meeting at the civic chamber Mr Dowling wanted to make an audio recording but was told he would be ejected if he persisted in recording the meeting.

The spokeswoman continued: “A member of the public was asked to leave last night’s meeting after they were asked to stop recording on several occasions during the meeting as they had not received prior approval from the chairman.

“Their subsequent behaviour was so disruptive that it was impossible for the meeting to continue. The police were called.”

Do you think members of the public should be allowed to film in Bexley Council meetings. Contact the news desk on 0208 477 3858, email robin.cottle@archant.co.uk or tweet @BexleyTimes.

0 comments

Latest Bexley news

Monday, September 24, 2018

The most popular names given to baby boys and girls last year in East London suggests that where you live could influence what name you choose for your child.

Monday, September 24, 2018

Bexleyheath based big cat keeper and author, Martin Hill, has released another picture book about the relationship between three young big cats.

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Kent travel to Birmingham for their Specsavers County Championship Division Two title showdown with Warwickshire starting on Monday.

Saturday, September 22, 2018

We talk to hundreds of local business owners every day; we hear their concerns, understand their challenges and share in their successes.

Friday, September 21, 2018

Kent’s Joe Denly and Rory Burns of Surrey earned earned their first Test call-ups for England’s forthcoming tour of Sri Lanka on Friday, but national selector Ed Smith insists there is no pressure to become “the new Alastair Cook”.

Thursday, September 20, 2018

The 80-year-old, who has scored more than 300 games, earned praise from England cricketer Stuart Broad

Thursday, September 20, 2018

County Championship Division Two: Glamorgan (186 & 78) lost by an innings and 172 runs to Kent (436)

Thursday, September 20, 2018

Kent centurion Zak Crawley admitted it felt good to finally score his maiden century for the county on Wednesday.

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24