Search

Bexley woman who escaped fire caused by tumble dryer calls for increased awareness of faulty white goods

PUBLISHED: 12:41 08 February 2018

Safety notices were issued over Indesit tumble dryer. Picture: London Frie Brigade

Safety notices were issued over Indesit tumble dryer. Picture: London Frie Brigade

Archant

A woman from Bexley who escaped a devastating fire in her flat, which was caused by a faulty tumble dryer, is calling for Londoners to be alerted when they have dangerous white goods in their homes.

Radhika Popat, 43, was woken by her smoke alarm after the fire broke out while she was asleep in her flat in Sidcup High Street.

She is now furious that she didn’t know that the Indesit appliance she had was one of dozens of models which manufacturers were forced to issue a safety notice about after they were identified as a fire risk.

She has welcomed government plans to launch a public database of potentially deadly faulty white goods, something the Brigade’s Total Recalls campaign has been calling for since 2016, and says if she had known about the problem she would have done something about it.

While Indesit did make efforts to contact people who had registered their appliance with the manufacturer to let them know about the fault, anyone who hadn’t done so may not be aware about the fire risk.

The Brigade is also calling for better publicity around recalls and safety notices.

Ms Popat said: “I bought it online so the retailer had my email and my address.

“There should be a way for manufacturers to get that information across to customers.

“I’ve had the dryer since 2014 and I now know that it was a ticking time-bomb, but who knows how many other people have this same machine in their home.

“I have been lucky and I’m praying that everyone else is safe.

“The recall register is a very good thing to have and it could definitely save people’s lives.”

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “This shows that manufacturers should step up and really invest in promoting safety notices and recalled products.

“Fires like this can be devastating for residents and in some cases, fatal.

“This fire also highlights just how important it is to have working smoke alarms in your property.

“There could have been a very different outcome to this fire if there hadn’t been any.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Bexley Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Bexley Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Bexley Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Bexley news

Saturday, February 17, 2018

A high definition CCTV system is to be installed in Broadway Shopping Centre later this month.

Saturday, February 17, 2018

A £6.1m cash injection into key community projects will help kick-start the building of 762 new homes across London and the South East, including Bexley.

Friday, February 16, 2018

A Bexleyheath pre-school owner has retired after 20 years of dedicated service.

Friday, February 16, 2018

The RSPCA has released CCTV footage showing a man kicking his grey Staffordshire bull terrier type dog outside a shop.

Friday, February 16, 2018

Next month will see the borough’s first ever residential street turn into a safe play area for a few hours, thanks to the council’s partnership with London Play.

Thursday, February 15, 2018

A 17-year-old from Thamesmead has been named as St John Ambulance regional cadet of the year for London and the south.

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Heathfield Court care home in Northumberland Heath helped four couples, who have notched up over 246 years of marriage between them, to celebrate in style on Valentine’s Day.

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Bexley Council is inviting people to share their views on how to spend the Local Community Infrastructure Fund.

Most read news

Competitions

Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder