Search

Consultation on future of south eastern franchise EXTENDED in light of general election

PUBLISHED: 11:28 23 May 2017 | UPDATED: 11:28 23 May 2017

Southeastern train

Southeastern train

Archant

The franchise is currently held by Southeastern, part of the Go Ahead group

Passengers using the south eastern rail service have been given an extra month to have their say on what they expect from the next franchise.

Currently, the service is run by Southeastern, part of the Go Ahead group, but in July next year, the government will announce a new franchise holder from whichever companies apply to take over the troubled train line, with the successful applicant taking over in December 2018, when the current contract expires.

In January, Southeastern ranked as the second-worst rail firm in the country for customer satisfaction.

Before companies can apply to take over, the government is asking passengers for their views on proposed changes to the services.

The consultation was due to end at 11.45pm tonight (Tuesday, May 23) but in light of the general election, which has placed government departments into purdah, the closing date has been moved back to June 30.

The change of date means public consultation events which had to be cancelled as they conflicted with the general election, can now take place.

New dates have not been established for the events, which will explain some of the proposals in the consultation.

In its document, found here, the Department for Transport has put forward a number of suggestions including the controversial proposal to cut Bexleyheath and Dartford line services to London Bridge, Charing Cross and Victoria, so trains to London would only run to Cannon Street.

Other suggestions have included removing First Class travel and potentially closing some smaller train stations across the service.

Responding to a 28,000-topping petition calling on government not to remove any Londonbound services, a DfT spokesperson said: “We are seeking passengers’ views on the principle of reducing the choice of London termini to provide a more regular timetable and reliable service. We are not proposing to cut specific services.”

Go Ahead have previously told us they expect to put in an application to renew its hold on the service.

The government consultation now closes at 11.45pm on June 30.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Bexley Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Bexley Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Bexley Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Bexley news

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

People who live, work and travel across Kent, Thurrock, Essex and beyond are being invited to shape plans for Britain’s biggest road tunnel as Highways England hostrf the first of 60 public engagement events on the multi-billion pound Lower Thames Crossing project this week (Tuesday 16 October).

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

“Devastating” plans for a house of multiple occupancy in Sidcup have been approved despite pleas by residents.

Monday, October 15, 2018

The pub industry in Bexley, worth around £51million, could take a hit if beer duty is raised as expected in the chancellor’s budget today (Tuesday, October 16), Britain’s Beer Alliance has warned.

Monday, October 15, 2018

A cyclist who died after being hit by a lorry in Erith has been formally identified, as police officers appeal for witnesses to the tragic incident to come forward.

Monday, October 15, 2018

New proposals for Hall Place and Gardens will be discussed in next week’s Places Overview and Scrutiny Committee (October 16).

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our Met Office video forecast.

Friday, October 12, 2018

The new UK and Ireland tour of Let It Be will be arriving at the Orchard Theatre on Monday, October 15.

Thursday, October 11, 2018

A number of warrants have been executed this morning (Wednesday, October 10) in Abbey Wood as part of a proactive operation targeting drugs and associated criminality.

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24