Search

Cops yet to discover cause of clipper blaze

PUBLISHED: 18:41 30 April 2008 | UPDATED: 14:43 25 August 2010

LONDON - APRIL 24:  The front of the Cutty Sark is removed as part of an ongoing conservation project in Greenwhich on April 24, 2008 in London, England. The counter which is made of wrought iron will be taken off for electrolysis and repair. The section has been removed as part of the original conservation plan before fire broke out on the vessel last year.  (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)

LONDON - APRIL 24: The front of the Cutty Sark is removed as part of an ongoing conservation project in Greenwhich on April 24, 2008 in London, England. The counter which is made of wrought iron will be taken off for electrolysis and repair. The section has been removed as part of the original conservation plan before fire broke out on the vessel last year. (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)

2008 Getty Images

POLICE investigating the cause of the Cutty Sark fire are still without answers nearly a year after the spectacular blaze.

POLICE investigating the cause of the Cutty Sark fire are still without answers nearly a year after the spectacular blaze.

Chief Executive of the Cutty Sark Trust, Richard Doughty, admitted the police are no closer to finding the fire's cause but that they are certain it wasn't caused by Cutty Sark Enterprises' negligence.

He spoke to the Times as conservation workers carefully removed the ship's delicate rudder-bearing counter last Thursday, as the trust's £25 million restoration project nears completion.

Mr Doughty said: "A lot of people show surprise at how long the investigation is taking, but I think that shows how thorough they are being.

"We are in regular contact with Scotland Yard and I think it is unlikely from discussions I have had that there will be any news before the anniversary.

"You can certainly rule out negligence. They are satisfied that there has not been negligence so it would not affect the insurance."

The cost of the restoration project shot up by £10 million after fire ravaged the famous clipper on the morning of May 21 last year, bringing the total cash needed to £35 million.

The project has been saved by two grants from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) totalling £23 million, Mr Doughty revealed.

He admitted the 10-month delay caused by the fire has caused costs to spiral.

He said: "My nerves have been a hell of a lot better since January, when we got the Heritage Lottery Funding. We could be looking at a very different project. If they had not stepped forward for a second time to save us we would only have been able to save the ship.

"The winch that will hold her off the ground and the glass skirt around her would never have been possible.

"We will release a statement on the anniversary, but I can assure you we won't be having any bonfires of fireworks."

The next landmark in the operation is due in August, when the iron frame weighing around 350 tonnes will be permanently hoisted three metres off the ground using hydraulic jacks.

The Cutty Sark Trust is still trying to raise £4 million to complete the project, which started in November 2006. To donate visit http://www.justgiving.com/cuttysarkfire.

jules.cooper@archant.co.uk

0 comments

Latest Bexley news

Friday, November 16, 2018

Christmas 2018 and the Northern Lights are welcomed to Bexleyheath on Saturday, November 17 with a spectacular mix of music and dance from stilt walkers to bhangra dancers, and acoustic artists to fire shows.

Friday, November 16, 2018

Now back from recording the second series of All Together Now, Brit School teacher and Bromley local Georg Tormann is now warming up for Christmas with his Beckenham-based choir.

Thursday, November 15, 2018

A Bexley artist has raised her concerns that a revamp of Hall Place will see the death of the art scene in the area.

Thursday, November 15, 2018

Wildlife enthusiasts are calling for “embarrassing” fly-tipping that is blighting marshland in Bexley to be cleared up.

Thursday, November 15, 2018

Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas expressed concerns that an energy park in Bexley will lead to “toxic fumes” billowing across the Thames to the Rainham and Beam Park development area.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018

A Bexleyheath pub will be offering free gin and tonic today, in exchange for a very unusual currency - cake.

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Cash-strapped Bexley schools have been writing to parents asking for money for supplies, according to a councillor.

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

MP for Bexleyheath and Crayford David Evennett was the guest of honour and speaker at an Armistice and Remembrance Commemoration held at the Bexleyheath Conservative Club on Sunday (November 11).

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24