Search

Cost for high needs children set to create funding gap in Bexley as schools approach ‘crunch time’

PUBLISHED: 07:00 12 July 2018

Newly qualified teachers at their graduation ceremony at the Redbridge Institute of Adult Education.

Newly qualified teachers at their graduation ceremony at the Redbridge Institute of Adult Education.

Archant

Schools face a “crunch time” as cost pressures for high needs children are set to lead to a funding gap in Bexley.

The budget for high needs children in Bexley was overspent by £343k last year, and the costs are expected to be higher for the next year.

Council officers predict that, following spending pressures and cuts to funding, the gap for the high needs costs is expected to be more than £1m by next year.

School chiefs were told at a meeting on June 25 that the pressures are not unique to Bexley, but that significant changes will need to happen to plug the predicted funding gap by 2020.

Council bosses told headteachers from the borough that robust reviews of spending would take place to ensure money is being spent correctly, and that children are getting the right support.

Other councils have dealt with similar pressures by reducing the amount of extra cash SEND pupils need on top of the standard budget to participate in schools, and by moving money from other budget blocks.

Discussing the proposals that the council thinks will plug the gap, Mark Hannon, headteacher at St Fidelis Catholic primary, said: “Experience would tell me that measures outlined will not be realised in that quick a time-scale, or have the big an impact on savings that we would wish for them to have.

“The big question is what is the school forum’s stance going to be when those two things come into conflict – when we don’t make the savings we need to make by the time 2020 kicks in and we can’t top slice any more. I don’t see us making the savings we need to make to get to a point where we are balanced – there is a crunch time coming.”

Councillors were quizzed in April about the “real terms” funding cuts facing schools, but the decision to slice school’s budgets and transfer cash to ease the pressures on SEND (special educational needs and disability) children was defended by education Cllr John Fuller.

The increasing costs come from a higher number of children needing extra support and an increase in teachers and specialist support staff salaries.

Sharing resources was one way proposed to help save, as well as reviewing the needs and support given to children who are in different “bands” of needs.

Wesley Guy, head of finance for education and social care, said: “In response to where we end up by 2020, that is a key concern and one of the council’s key priorities around lobbying.

“Obviously if the schools forum requests the council express their concerns, that strengthens anything we submit because it says it is not just coming from us, it is coming from the school’s communities as well.”

The forum unanimously agreed to have their concerns about funding pressures expressed by the council as it lobbies for more money.

Mr Hannon said: “I think the forum should say that despite the good work by the local authority to get funding into a position where it is more appropriate there are still concerns that it is just not going to get to where we need to get to to be balanced.”

A recent survey by the National Education Union suggested that SEND children across the country are not getting the right education support because of cuts.

A national survey, of more than 900 school staff, found that cuts affecting SEND pupils have been worse this year.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Bexley Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Bexley Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Bexley Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Bexley news

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our Met Office video forecast.

Friday, October 19, 2018

Jamie Brown of Archant Local Impact explains how you can build brand awareness.

Friday, October 19, 2018

A Welling church was delighted to present representatives from the emergency services with cheques totalling an amazing £6,054 after its annual teddy bear charity appeal.

Friday, October 19, 2018

Following the incredible sell-out stage success of Not Dead Enough, The Perfect Murder and Dead Simple, the number one best-selling author Peter James is back with a spine-tingling new world premiere play, The House On Cold Hill, coming to the Orchard Theatre in January.

Thursday, October 18, 2018

A police officer based in Bexley has been served a final warning after he allegedly placed a man in a choke hold during a fight.

Thursday, October 18, 2018

Bexley’s NHS services will receive more than £900,000 of extra funding this winter to help alleviate growing pressures on our hospitals, the Department for Health announced yesterday (Wednesday, October 17).

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

People who live, work and travel across Kent, Thurrock, Essex and beyond are being invited to shape plans for Britain’s biggest road tunnel as Highways England hostrf the first of 60 public engagement events on the multi-billion pound Lower Thames Crossing project this week (Tuesday 16 October).

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

“Devastating” plans for a house of multiple occupancy in Sidcup have been approved despite pleas by residents.

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24