Search

Swanley meat business sold chicken ‘unfit for human consumption’ to takeaways across London and south east

PUBLISHED: 16:17 28 September 2017 | UPDATED: 16:17 28 September 2017

All of this chicken was marked unfit for human consumption

All of this chicken was marked unfit for human consumption

Archant

The owner of the company has been jailed

Sevenoaks District Council carried out numerous inspections of the Swanley based businessSevenoaks District Council carried out numerous inspections of the Swanley based business

Nearly 12 tonnes of chicken bound for takeaways around the south east has been destroyed after an investigation found it was “unfit for human consumption”.

An investigation by Sevenoaks District Council discovered the meat, being sold from a Swanley based business, was on its way to kebab shops, food manufacturers and other food businesses across London and the south east.

The business owner, Sukru Ahmet of East Rochester Way, Sidcup, used a converted concrete mixer to manufacture chicken doner kebab meat for his company, UK Chicken Doner & Poultry Ltd.

An investigation from the council discovered the 60-year-old had been selling the unsafe poultry since at least November 2014 from units at Upper Hockenden Farm in Maidstone Road, Swanley.

All of this chicken was marked unfit for human consumptionAll of this chicken was marked unfit for human consumption

In November 2015, Ahmet told the council he intended to run a food business.

He was told he would need council approval, but Ahmet then told inspectors he would not be processing meat.

The following month, three inspections by environmental health officers discovered this wasn’t the case.

Despite a notice to stop, officers found and seized 11.75 tonnes of poultry in April 2016.

Sukru Ahmet from Sidcup admitted 21 charges of breaching food safety and hygiene lawsSukru Ahmet from Sidcup admitted 21 charges of breaching food safety and hygiene laws

An investigation into Ahmet’s businesses found he had been trading under another name, United Meat and Poultry Suppliers, from November 2014 to December 2015, without the council’s approval.

Officers discovered meat past its use-by dates was ready to be sold, while other packages had no clear dates, and some products from Germany had been relabelled to claim they had been produced in the UK.

Officers also found a lack of records, including where meat had been processed, or when it had been frozen.

The discovery led to all 11.75 tonnes of chicken being incinerated.

All of this chicken was marked unfit for human consumptionAll of this chicken was marked unfit for human consumption

In March, Ahmet plead guilty to 21 charges of breaching food safety and hygiene laws.

Today, (Thursday), Ahmet was jailed for four months and ordered to pay both the council’s and the court’s trial costs, totalling £11,880, with his company also given a £30,000 fine and made to pay the other half of costs, totalling £53,760.

A Prohibition Order to prevent Mr Ahmet from managing any food business in future was also granted.

Matthew Dickins, the cabinet member for direct and trading services, said: “This is one of the most serious breaches of food safety laws the Council has ever come across. Consumers must have confidence that their meat is prepared in a safe, approved environment and is fit for them to eat.

“Sukru Ahmet and his company had no regard for the food safety laws that exist to protect the public. The substantial fine and custodial sentence handed down by the court demonstrates the seriousness of the case.”

Latest Bexley news

Saturday, July 21, 2018

Kent Spitfires and Surrey took a point apiece after their Vitality Blast South Group clash in Canterbury was abandoned due to heavy rain during the innings break.

Saturday, July 21, 2018

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our Met Office video forecast.

Friday, July 20, 2018

Fire cadets from Bexley have been learning what it takes to be a firefighter, picking up valuable life skills as they celebrate completing an academic year at a special pass-out parade ceremony at Erith Fire Station.

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Firefighters have tackled a blaze which tore through the shed and fence of a Bexley home spreading dangerously close to a butane gas cylinder.

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Kent Spitfires skipper Sam Billings says the side’s last two nerve-wracking wins and never say-die-spirit will stand them in good stead throughout this season’s Vitality Blast campaign.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Its commitment to the long-term management of Lesnes Abbey Woods resulted in Bexley being awarded the London Borough Tree and Woodland Award last week (July 10).

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Residents in Bexley are being encouraged to love their parks as this year’s #GoParksLondon campaign is launched.

Monday, July 16, 2018

Anyone fancy winning big cash, but want to see the money raised ploughed directly into local services?

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder