Search

Crossrail delays could cost Transport for London £20million

PUBLISHED: 13:41 07 September 2018 | UPDATED: 16:07 07 September 2018

Testing issues, unfinished construction and an electrical explosion led to delays on the line. Picture: Monica Wells

Testing issues, unfinished construction and an electrical explosion led to delays on the line. Picture: Monica Wells

Monica Wells

Rail bosses have admitted they don’t know how much delays to Crossrail will cost.

Crossrail, which will be called the Elizabeth Line, is due to open in autumn next year, instead of December 2018. Picture: Monica WellsCrossrail, which will be called the Elizabeth Line, is due to open in autumn next year, instead of December 2018. Picture: Monica Wells

It was announced at the end of August that Crossrail would not open in December 2018, as planned.

At a London Assembly meeting yesterday, bosses revealed £20million in TfL revenue could be lost in the 2018/19 financial year, but it was still too early to confirm the full impact of delays.

Transport commissioner Mike Brown said: “Any additional costs that may emerge, we will be making provisions within our own plans.

“We’ll be meeting with the Treasury and department of Transport today (Thursday).

“It’s early days for the arrangement of additional costs.”

Despite concerns about meeting the deadline being raised in July, Crossrail board members didn’t confirm the delay until a meeting at the end of August.

Bosses admitted that testing issues, an electrical explosion at Pudding Mill Lane last year, and unfinished construction, had pushed the opening date back to autumn 2019.

Simon Wright, CEO of Crossrail, said: “We started testing later then we’d have liked and those tests haven’t gone as well as we’d have liked. We need more time to get through all those tests.”

Chairman Sir Terry Morgan added: “We were determined to deliver on time but as we negotiated one risk others started to materialise.

“The complexity of testing the new systems drew us to a conclusion that we couldn’t generate a safe railway in December.

“I’m so disappointed at the position we find ourselves in. It’s not easy to find yourself in a position like this.”

Rail minister Jo Johnson announced last month that the scheme’s budget had been increased from £14.8billion to £15.4bn due to “cost pressures”.

Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, who was also at the meeting, said: “I’m extremely disappointed, frustrated and angry, but I’m confident once it’s completed it will be a great asset to the people of London.”

His anger was shared by Newham’s councillors. Councillor Rachel Tripp said the council was “deeply disappointed” that Crossrail left it so late to inform stakeholders of the delay.

Once open, it will run from Reading and Heathrow in the west to Shenfield and Abbey Wood in the east.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Bexley Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Bexley Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Bexley Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Bexley news

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Kent travel to Birmingham for their Specsavers County Championship Division Two title showdown with Warwickshire starting on Monday.

Saturday, September 22, 2018

We talk to hundreds of local business owners every day; we hear their concerns, understand their challenges and share in their successes.

Friday, September 21, 2018

Kent’s Joe Denly and Rory Burns of Surrey earned earned their first Test call-ups for England’s forthcoming tour of Sri Lanka on Friday, but national selector Ed Smith insists there is no pressure to become “the new Alastair Cook”.

Thursday, September 20, 2018

The 80-year-old, who has scored more than 300 games, earned praise from England cricketer Stuart Broad

Thursday, September 20, 2018

County Championship Division Two: Glamorgan (186 & 78) lost by an innings and 172 runs to Kent (436)

Thursday, September 20, 2018

Kent centurion Zak Crawley admitted it felt good to finally score his maiden century for the county on Wednesday.

Thursday, September 20, 2018

At the age of 15, notorious Bexley criminal Kenneth Noye left Bexleyheath School in 1962.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Kent opener Zak Crawley hit a fluent maiden first-class century to bolster his side’s promotion hopes and leave the Hop County in total command of their Specsavers County Championship clash with Division Two basement side Glamorgan.

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24