Search

Gardeners left without bins for weeks as council messes up new collections before they’ve even started

PUBLISHED: 16:07 09 September 2015 | UPDATED: 16:07 09 September 2015

Gardening

Gardening

Archant

The new garden waste collections in Bexley have already run into problems – with numerous homeowners being left without any bins at all

The new garden waste collections in Bexley have already run into problems – with numerous homeowners being left without any bins at all.

Bexley Council hasn’t managed to order enough replacements for the garden waste bins it’s taking away this month – and says some people may be without a bin until the start of October.

Pensioner John Woodruff had his garden bin taken away more than a week ago but hasn’t had a replacement.

“It doesn’t look as if we will have a bin for a fair bit of time, and several of my neighbours are without them too, so I assume it’s happened in quite a lot of other areas,” said the 78-year-old, who lives in Sidcup.

“Fortunately I’ve got some compost bags I had kept by, but there’s going to be an awful lot of waste by the time the bin’s delivered.

“It’s quite an inconvenience, especially as they’re charging for the service.

“I’m surprised they underestimated the demand, and I can’t understand why they’re picking up the old bins if they couldn’t supply the new ones. I thought they were being really efficient when they collected them all.”

The council is no longer collecting garden waste for free – if you want it taken away fortnightly you now have to pay £33 a year – and is replacing the brown bins used at the moment for food and garden waste.

Each household is being sent a new, food-only recycling bin - food waste will still be collected every week for free – and those who have signed up for the paid-for garden waste collections are also being sent new garden waste bins (in theory).

There are other options if you don’t want to pay: you can either home compost your waste or take it to one of Bexley’s two recycling centres for free.

A council spokesman said: “All the food recycling containers will be delivered as planned by the end of this month.

“Those who have received the containers can put them out for collection the following week.

“Demand for the new, larger garden waste bins has been significantly above expectations, with almost 27,000 orders having been placed so far. We would like to thank all the people who have signed up, and we are delivering the bins on a first come, first served basis.

“People who have not yet received their new bin are asked to either store their garden waste until their bin arrives, or to take it to the reuse and recycling centres in Crayford or Foots Cray.”

If you ordered your bin before July 19, you can expect to receive it by September 15, and will be charged for garden waste collections for a year starting next month.

If you ordered it between July 20 and August 22, you can expect to receive your bin by October 5.

But if you ordered it after August 23, you might not get it until the middle of October – although your year of paid-for collections won’t start till November.

1 comment

  • Got my brown food waste "bin" today which is tiny. Probably about 3 times the size of the brown food caddy and it is meant to cover a family for a week. Along with scrapping the garden waste (which will probably see an increase in fly tipping) I am sure this is Bexley council's plan to increase the rat population.....

    Report this comment

    Stevio

    Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Latest Bexley news

Friday, October 19, 2018

Jamie Brown of Archant Local Impact explains how you can build brand awareness.

Friday, October 19, 2018

A Welling church was delighted to present representatives from the emergency services with cheques totalling an amazing £6,054 after its annual teddy bear charity appeal.

Friday, October 19, 2018

Following the incredible sell-out stage success of Not Dead Enough, The Perfect Murder and Dead Simple, the number one best-selling author Peter James is back with a spine-tingling new world premiere play, The House On Cold Hill, coming to the Orchard Theatre in January.

Thursday, October 18, 2018

A police officer based in Bexley has been served a final warning after he allegedly placed a man in a choke hold during a fight.

Thursday, October 18, 2018

Bexley’s NHS services will receive more than £900,000 of extra funding this winter to help alleviate growing pressures on our hospitals, the Department for Health announced yesterday (Wednesday, October 17).

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

People who live, work and travel across Kent, Thurrock, Essex and beyond are being invited to shape plans for Britain’s biggest road tunnel as Highways England hostrf the first of 60 public engagement events on the multi-billion pound Lower Thames Crossing project this week (Tuesday 16 October).

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

“Devastating” plans for a house of multiple occupancy in Sidcup have been approved despite pleas by residents.

Monday, October 15, 2018

The pub industry in Bexley, worth around £51million, could take a hit if beer duty is raised as expected in the chancellor’s budget today (Tuesday, October 16), Britain’s Beer Alliance has warned.

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24