Head of Bexley Police Jeff Boothe steps down after less than two years in the job
PUBLISHED: 12:19 07 October 2016 | UPDATED: 12:19 07 October 2016
Crime has risen during his time in office, with more than 30,000 reported cases
Chief superintendent Jeff Boothe is to leave his post as head of the police in Bexley after less than two years in the job.
Chief supt Boothe was appointed Bexley Borough Commander in March 2015 but is now set to take over as Croydon Borough Commander on December 10.
The 51-year-old came to the borough after 12 years at the Met Police’s Criminal Investigation Department, during which he was deputy senior investigating officer on the Hatfield Train Crash.
Figures from the Met Police released earlier this year showed crime had risen by 2.5 per cent during his tenure, with 30,000 more reported incidents between March 2015 and March 2016.
The total number of reported violent crimes rose by more than 500, while the homicide rate more than doubled and rape cases climbed above 100.
More recently, a mass brawl between more than 100 youths in Northumberland Heath made national headlines and raised concerns among some residents that parts of the borough were becoming ‘no-go areas’.
But chief supt Boothe was keen to emphasise his achievements while in office.
“The borough of Bexley has achieved outstanding results during my time,” he said. “A 29 per cent reduction in burglary offences, 42 per cent reduction in robbery offences; a renewed focus on domestic abuse, safeguarding children and missing persons have contributed to public confidence and satisfaction levels being above the Metropolitan Police Service average.
“I am especially proud to say I leave Bexley Borough as the lowest crime borough across the whole of London.”
The Met said a suitable replacement is being identified to take over as Borough Commander at Bexley.
We are awaiting a response from chief supt Boothe.