Search

Hundreds of flats planned for former home of Slade Green Football Club

PUBLISHED: 13:16 31 October 2017 | UPDATED: 13:17 31 October 2017

Moat Lane Park, Slade Green

Moat Lane Park, Slade Green

Archant

One councillor would rather see a football club return

Hundreds of flats could replace the former ground of Slade Green Football Club.

Developers have applied to build seven apartment blocks with 240 homes alongside a community hub and changing facilities, which will serve a 3G sports pitch, all built on the abandoned land on Moat Lane.

Slade Green FC dissolved in 2009, but despite the land laying dormant since then, there is still opposition.

Alan Deadman, councillor for North End ward, would rather see a football club return the empty land.

He said: “We welcome more housing, there’s a clear need for it in the town, but this is green belt land.

“A small number of residents told me they were for it, but a lot more raised concerns over access.

“It’s only access is from Hazel Road, if you’re adding 240 homes and 240 parking spaces, that’s a lot of added pressure in the town.

“Ideally new homes need to go on brownfield land and you’d want to see another club move in to Moat Lane.”

In its application, Canterbury-based developers Quinn Estates claims the development would create a 40 per cent increase to traffic at the junction of Moat Lane and Hazel Road, but adds: “as the existing flow is so low, the effect is negligible.”

Quinn Estates cut its original plans for 300 apartments across five-storey blocks, after consulting with residents earlier this year.

Now at 240 one and two-bedroom apartments in three and four-storey blocks, the developer put its plans to Bexley council earlier this month.

If built, 35 per cent of the development would be affordable housing, amounting to 84 homes.

New community facilities plotted for the development would include a health centre, a literacy and numeracy hub along with a children’s play area and sporting facilities on Slade Green Recreation Ground.

Cllr Deadman said: “If a football club moved in, we could use some of the site’s other facilities for a junior football team for local children to help get them off the streets.”

A decision on the plans is expected by early 2018, with building work expected to last five years if approved.

Latest Bexley news

Thursday, September 20, 2018

County Championship Division Two: Glamorgan (186 & 78) lost by an innings and 172 runs to Kent (436)

Thursday, September 20, 2018

The 80-year-old, who has scored more than 300 games, earned praise from England cricketer Stuart Broad

Thursday, September 20, 2018

Kent centurion Zak Crawley admitted it felt good to finally score his maiden century for the county on Wednesday.

Thursday, September 20, 2018

At the age of 15, notorious Bexley criminal Kenneth Noye left Bexleyheath School in 1962.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Kent opener Zak Crawley hit a fluent maiden first-class century to bolster his side’s promotion hopes and leave the Hop County in total command of their Specsavers County Championship clash with Division Two basement side Glamorgan.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

A Yellow warning has been issued by the Met Office for the east of England as “very strong winds” are expected tomorrow evening and Friday morning.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

The independent police watchdog has launched an investigation after a man in his 30s died while being detained by police in Bexleyheath on Monday night (September 17).

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Kent all-rounder Grant Stewart praised his team-mates after a good first day against Glamorgan in the County Championship.

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24