Search

Kebab owner takes away legal bill

PUBLISHED: 10:15 13 August 2009 | UPDATED: 17:03 25 August 2010

A KEBAB shop manager faces huge legal bills after a High Court victory against his council.

A KEBAB shop manager faces huge legal bills after a High Court victory against his council.

Bexley council took the government's communities department to court after its inspector granted planning permission to George Arslanboga, the manager of Kebab Ye, in Maidstone Road, Sidcup.

This was after council bosses refused to grant retrospective planning consent for the business' change of use from a retail shop, which was then overturned by an inspector, in November last year.

On July 30, deputy judge John Howell QC rejected Bexley council's case, ordering bosses to pay £6,410 towards the Secretary of State's legal costs on top of their own costs of £8,529.

But Mr Arslanboga said he was having a hard time celebrating his victory.

He said: "To be honest it really hasn't sunk in yet because the last three-and-a-half years have been a constant battle and it's very hard to just forget about it.

"The wife and family keep saying I can cheer up now but it's difficult to snap out of it.I've had a heavy weight on my shoulders and it will take some time to go away."

A spokesperson for the council said: "We are extremely disappointed with the High Court's decision.

"We have a responsibility to protect the interests of our residents and people in the area had raised concerns with us about the nuisance this take-away was causing.

"The council takes planning enforcement very seriously and this is why planning enforcement action was taken against Mr Arslanboga - for operating his business in breach of planning control.

"Mr Arslanboga ignored the planning enforcement and stop notices that were served upon him over a period of nearly three years. He continued trading despite receiving two convictions in Bexley Magistrates' Court for breaches of these notices. The council's decision to challenge the inspector's decision reflected, amongst other things, the broader policy implications."

marina.soteriou@archant.co.uk

0 comments

Latest Bexley news

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

People who live, work and travel across Kent, Thurrock, Essex and beyond are being invited to shape plans for Britain’s biggest road tunnel as Highways England hostrf the first of 60 public engagement events on the multi-billion pound Lower Thames Crossing project this week (Tuesday 16 October).

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

“Devastating” plans for a house of multiple occupancy in Sidcup have been approved despite pleas by residents.

Monday, October 15, 2018

The pub industry in Bexley, worth around £51million, could take a hit if beer duty is raised as expected in the chancellor’s budget today (Tuesday, October 16), Britain’s Beer Alliance has warned.

Monday, October 15, 2018

A cyclist who died after being hit by a lorry in Erith has been formally identified, as police officers appeal for witnesses to the tragic incident to come forward.

Monday, October 15, 2018

New proposals for Hall Place and Gardens will be discussed in next week’s Places Overview and Scrutiny Committee (October 16).

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our Met Office video forecast.

Friday, October 12, 2018

The new UK and Ireland tour of Let It Be will be arriving at the Orchard Theatre on Monday, October 15.

Thursday, October 11, 2018

A number of warrants have been executed this morning (Wednesday, October 10) in Abbey Wood as part of a proactive operation targeting drugs and associated criminality.

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24