Search

Landlady fears The Iron Horse ‘may be no more’ as plans revealed for three tower-blocks in Sidcup

PUBLISHED: 10:02 14 September 2017

Coplan Estates hopes to build 136 homes in Station Road, Sidcup

Coplan Estates hopes to build 136 homes in Station Road, Sidcup

Archant

A petition has now been set up to protect the pub

The landlady of a popular Sidcup pub fears she may have to close her doors if plans for 136 apartments in Sidcup go through.

Last week, Coplan Estates Ltd held an exhibition at the Holy Trinity Church on Station Road, minutes away from their proposed site backing onto Sidcup station, to build three high-rise blocks at the Co-Op site.

One of the blocks, which CGI images show towering around The Iron Horse pub on Station Road, could rise up to 14-storeys, though developers say plans are in their infancy, and that the development will have no impact on The Iron Horse.

Julie Crabb has been running the pub and music venue for three years.

She said: “How dare they have the audacity to say The Iron Horse won’t be affected. I’m not sitting here thinking about getting new punters, I’m thinking about where my customers right now are going to park.

“They will have to put in legislation to tell anyone who moves in that we’re a music venue, we do play music late, not as loud as we used to, but we’re licensed until 2am.

“I live upstairs as well, I’ve got my garden oasis on the roof, I don’t want all these people staring down at me, and I don’t want to park my car miles from home just to walk down the streets at night.

“It feels like I’m being railroaded out of my home and business, if it goes ahead The Iron Horse may be no more.”

The existing Co-Op store and office block, both owned and leased by Coplan Estates will be demolished to make way for the blocks, which will house one and two bedroom apartments, along with a new foodstore.

Developers say it is “likely” that up to 35 per cent of the flats will be affordable.

A spokesperson from Coplan Estates said: “The site currently provides little in the way of vitality and vibrancy to the town, comprising a large open expanse of surface car parking, and an unattractive frontage building. As such, it provides a great opportunity to bring about the regeneration of this area of the town.

“We value the opinions of local residents and businesses and encourage feedback on the outlined plans.”

Around 300 questionnaires were handed out to residents on Friday and Saturday, with developers now reviewing responses as they prepare to put in a planning application to Bexley council by the end of the year.

Residents handed questionnaires have until September 29 to return their responses to jonathan.rowlatt@wyg.com.

On Wednesday, a petition to ‘Save the Iron Horse’ was set up, which claimed the development would be “robbing the town of an evergrowing scene of arts and culture”.

By Thursday morning it was nearing its 200 signature target.

Latest Bexley news

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Police are investigating after a woman and a two-year-old girl were hit by a car which broke free while being towed in Bexleyheath yesterday.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Controversial plans to open an African restaurant for 18 hours a day next to retirement homes have been refused by councillors.

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our Met Office video forecast.

Friday, October 19, 2018

Jamie Brown of Archant Local Impact explains how you can build brand awareness.

Friday, October 19, 2018

A Welling church was delighted to present representatives from the emergency services with cheques totalling an amazing £6,054 after its annual teddy bear charity appeal.

Friday, October 19, 2018

Following the incredible sell-out stage success of Not Dead Enough, The Perfect Murder and Dead Simple, the number one best-selling author Peter James is back with a spine-tingling new world premiere play, The House On Cold Hill, coming to the Orchard Theatre in January.

Thursday, October 18, 2018

A police officer based in Bexley has been served a final warning after he allegedly placed a man in a choke hold during a fight.

Thursday, October 18, 2018

Bexley’s NHS services will receive more than £900,000 of extra funding this winter to help alleviate growing pressures on our hospitals, the Department for Health announced yesterday (Wednesday, October 17).

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24