Search

Life-saving equipment for heart attack victims has been handed to Bexley police officers

PUBLISHED: 09:41 04 September 2017 | UPDATED: 09:47 05 September 2017

Bexley police officers have been issued with defibrillators

Bexley police officers have been issued with defibrillators

Archant

It is part of a London-wide initiative

Police on the beat around the borough are now better equipped to help save the life of someone having a heart attack.

From Monday, September 4, 15 defibrillator units have been handed to Bexley officers, as part of a London-wide initiative which began in November 2015.

“Every second counts when someone is in cardiac arrest,” said Chris Hartley-Sharpe, head of first responders at London Ambulance Service.

“The only way to restart a heart is with a defibrillator, so the sooner one arrives with someone trained to use it, the better the outcome for the patient.

“While we will always send an ambulance response as a priority, by working together with the Met we can ensure patients in cardiac arrest receive vital treatment as quickly as possible.”

According to Met Police, the average survival rate for a Londoner in cardiac arrest is nine per cent. At Heathrow the rate is 75 per cent.

A spokesperson from the force said the difference was “thanks to the availability of so many Automated External Defibrillators and availability of staff and emergency services personnel to use them effectively.

“Working together, the cardiac survival rate will increase and more lives will be saved.”

Based on results so far, Scotland Yard believes the scheme could save dozens of lives each year.

In 2013, 16-year-old Bexleyheath Academy student Phillip Lamin died from a heart attack while playing football with his friends.

Since then, his mother, Juliet Lamin, has been campaigning for better access to defibrillators, and said she is keen to get involved with officers during the rollout, saying: “It’s fantastic news to see defibs being issued, the first five minutes are so precious after a cardiac arrest and this will provide better access.

“But I would like to see more access to defibs in schools, that is where most of our young people are, and they are still at risk, in my opinion defibs should be treated like fire extinguishers, so that they are there in an emergency and someone is always there, ready to use them.”

Borough commander ch supt Stuart Bell added: “As an emergency service we often are the first on scene dealing with individuals suffering significant medical illnesses and serious injury.

“Our officers in Bexley engage in manual CPR on numerous occasions every year in an attempt to save lives. Access to the kit will greatly improve our chances of keeping people alive until paramedics arrive and I welcome our investment in this life saving equipment.”

Latest Bexley news

Friday, September 21, 2018

Kent’s Joe Denly and Rory Burns of Surrey earned earned their first Test call-ups for England’s forthcoming tour of Sri Lanka on Friday, but national selector Ed Smith insists there is no pressure to become “the new Alastair Cook”.

Thursday, September 20, 2018

The 80-year-old, who has scored more than 300 games, earned praise from England cricketer Stuart Broad

Thursday, September 20, 2018

County Championship Division Two: Glamorgan (186 & 78) lost by an innings and 172 runs to Kent (436)

Thursday, September 20, 2018

Kent centurion Zak Crawley admitted it felt good to finally score his maiden century for the county on Wednesday.

Thursday, September 20, 2018

At the age of 15, notorious Bexley criminal Kenneth Noye left Bexleyheath School in 1962.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Kent opener Zak Crawley hit a fluent maiden first-class century to bolster his side’s promotion hopes and leave the Hop County in total command of their Specsavers County Championship clash with Division Two basement side Glamorgan.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

A Yellow warning has been issued by the Met Office for the east of England as “very strong winds” are expected tomorrow evening and Friday morning.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

The independent police watchdog has launched an investigation after a man in his 30s died while being detained by police in Bexleyheath on Monday night (September 17).

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24