Search

Mayor welcomes High Court ruling that government has broken the law over air pollution

PUBLISHED: 16:26 02 November 2016 | UPDATED: 16:26 02 November 2016

Traffic is a major source of air pollution  Photo: Pawel Czaja

Traffic is a major source of air pollution Photo: Pawel Czaja

Pawel_Czaja

The High Court has ruled the government’s Air Quality Plan is legally flawed

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has welcomed a High Court ruling that the government has broken the law by failing to tackle illegal levels of nitrogen dioxide (NO2) air pollution as quickly as possible.

A judge today declared the environment secretary’s current Air Quality Plan (AQP) legally flawed and ruled that it “must be quashed” and replaced by a modified, improved plan.

Mr Justice Garnham said the secretary of state “fell into error by adopting too optimistic a model of future emissions”.

The legal action was brought by legal non-governmental organisation ClientEarth, which argued the AQP was “flawed, woefully inadequate - and needs to be drastically improved”.

As a result of the ruling, the government must take immediate action to remove illegal levels of NO2 air pollution.

The mayor said: “This must now act as a real wake-up call to government to finally get to grips with this national health emergency that is causing 9,400 deaths every year just in London alone.

“Serious action by the government is long overdue and if we had been given the tools to tackle this head-on in the first place we would have been on the road to compliance much sooner.

“We need bold measures, fit for the 21st century, such as those I have proposed, so people no longer have to fear the air they breathe.”

Mr Khan added that, with the European Union currently providing the legal framework which protects Londoners’ right to clean air, Brexit must not be used as an excuse to water down standards.

Prime minister Theresa May’s official spokeswoman told reporters: “We are accepting today’s court judgment and will consider now the details and set out next steps in due course.”

Latest Bexley news

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

People who live, work and travel across Kent, Thurrock, Essex and beyond are being invited to shape plans for Britain’s biggest road tunnel as Highways England hostrf the first of 60 public engagement events on the multi-billion pound Lower Thames Crossing project this week (Tuesday 16 October).

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

“Devastating” plans for a house of multiple occupancy in Sidcup have been approved despite pleas by residents.

Monday, October 15, 2018

The pub industry in Bexley, worth around £51million, could take a hit if beer duty is raised as expected in the chancellor’s budget today (Tuesday, October 16), Britain’s Beer Alliance has warned.

Monday, October 15, 2018

A cyclist who died after being hit by a lorry in Erith has been formally identified, as police officers appeal for witnesses to the tragic incident to come forward.

Monday, October 15, 2018

New proposals for Hall Place and Gardens will be discussed in next week’s Places Overview and Scrutiny Committee (October 16).

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our Met Office video forecast.

Friday, October 12, 2018

The new UK and Ireland tour of Let It Be will be arriving at the Orchard Theatre on Monday, October 15.

Thursday, October 11, 2018

A number of warrants have been executed this morning (Wednesday, October 10) in Abbey Wood as part of a proactive operation targeting drugs and associated criminality.

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24