Search

More than 1,000 people fined in road crime crackdown

PUBLISHED: 08:50 23 December 2014 | UPDATED: 08:50 23 December 2014

Archant

Police out in force across the capital

More than 1,000 people were fined for driving offences in London during a five-day operation last week.

Officers from the Met’s roads and transport policing command were at busy junctions across the capital in the rush hour from Monday to Friday to catch law-breakers and give advice to drivers.

Some 56 vehicles were seized after the drivers were found to have no insurance or no licence, and 25 people were arrested for other crimes.

The crackdown, known as Operation Safeway, was launched in November last year in response to a series of deaths on London’s roads.

Thousands of officers from the Met are now regularly sent to junctions across the capital each month.

Superintendent Robert Revill, from the Met’s safer transport command, said: “Every road death is a needless tragedy.

“These operations have been hugely effective at raising awareness of road safety among motorists and cyclists.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Bexley Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Bexley Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Bexley Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Bexley news

Monday, November 19, 2018

A father has been found not guilty of killing his 10-week-old baby.

Monday, November 19, 2018

Entrepreneur Jo Malone has said her success is down to making “people smile and feel good” as she was made a CBE by the Prince of Wales.

Saturday, November 17, 2018

A man who ran over two elderly women with his electric wheelchair was sentenced on Friday, November 16 at Southwark Crown Court.

Saturday, November 17, 2018

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our Met Office video forecast.

Friday, November 16, 2018

Christmas 2018 and the Northern Lights are welcomed to Bexleyheath on Saturday, November 17 with a spectacular mix of music and dance from stilt walkers to bhangra dancers, and acoustic artists to fire shows.

Friday, November 16, 2018

Now back from recording the second series of All Together Now, Brit School teacher and Bromley local Georg Tormann is now warming up for Christmas with his Beckenham-based choir.

Thursday, November 15, 2018

A Bexley artist has raised her concerns that a revamp of Hall Place will see the death of the art scene in the area.

Thursday, November 15, 2018

Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas expressed concerns that an energy park in Bexley will lead to “toxic fumes” billowing across the Thames to the Rainham and Beam Park development area.

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24