Search

Murdered Harry Potter actor pal in anti-knife crime film

PUBLISHED: 19:16 02 September 2009 | UPDATED: 17:05 25 August 2010

English actor, Ray Winstone attends a Premiership match between Manchester United and West Ham at home to West Ham at Upton Park football stadium, 29 December 2007. AFP PHOTO/CARL DE SOUZA  Mobile and website use of domestic English football pictures are subject to obtaining a Photographic End User Licence from Football DataCo Ltd Tel : +44 (0) 207 864 9121 or e-mail accreditations@football-dataco.com - applies to Premier and Football League matches. (Photo credit should read CARL DE SOUZA/AFP/Getty Images)

English actor, Ray Winstone attends a Premiership match between Manchester United and West Ham at home to West Ham at Upton Park football stadium, 29 December 2007. AFP PHOTO/CARL DE SOUZA Mobile and website use of domestic English football pictures are subject to obtaining a Photographic End User Licence from Football DataCo Ltd Tel : +44 (0) 207 864 9121 or e-mail accreditations@football-dataco.com - applies to Premier and Football League matches. (Photo credit should read CARL DE SOUZA/AFP/Getty Images)

2007 AFP

TOP British actor and film hardman Ray Winstone is to appear in a anti-knife crime film, produced by the father of murdered Harry Potter actor Rob Knox. The star of Sexy Beast and Nil By Mouth has agreed to waive his fees having already appeared alongsid

Colin Knox, father of 18-year-old actor in the forthcoming Harry Potter film Rob Knox, cries during a press conference on May 25, 2008 in Sidcup, Kent, after Rob was fatally stabbed. Knox was killed on May 24, 2008 in a scuffle in the south-eastern suburb of Sidcup. Scores of bunches of flowers have been left outside the Metro Bar, Station Road, where 18-year-old Rob died, and a stream of messages posted on the social networking website Facebook.  AFP PHOTO/PA/GARETH FULLER (Photo credit should read GARETH FULLER/AFP/Getty Images)

TOP British actor and film hardman Ray Winstone is to appear in a anti-knife crime film, produced by the father of murdered Harry Potter actor Rob Knox.

The star of Sexy Beast and Nil By Mouth has agreed to waive his fees having already appeared alongside the 18-year-old and his brother, Jamie, in the 2004 film King Arthur.

The young actor and his brother attended theatre school together as they pursued their film careers before the tragic murder.

Rob, who played Marcus Belby in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, was stabbed to death outside the Metro Bar, Sidcup in May last year

Rob Knox

His father Colin Knox, 55, of Greenhithe, also revealed plans to release a song he wrote after his son's murder at the hands of vile Karl Bishop, 22.

He said: "I jumped up and punched the air with delight and gave a big 'Wahoo' when Ray Winstone agreed to star in the 15 minute film.

"To have someone as popular and well-respected involved in the film is phenomenal. People can associate with Ray, they will listen to him and that is exactly what we want. He will propel the awareness of this film, the message we are portraying and take it to a level I could only have dreamed of."

Ray Winstone is a staunch anti knife crime campaigner and worked with Rob and Jamie Knox on the King Arthur film. Colin's brother Brian also appeared in the film as a body standing for the screen star.

Mr Knox added: "It is amazing that Ray is involved and I praise him for taking time out to give his time to this project.

"Ray and Rob worked alongside each other in the 2004 King Arthur film. Rob played the young Bors and Ray was the adult Bors. My other son Jamie played Dagena, it was such a proud moment for the family. It is quite strange, my brother was even Ray's body stand-in. When Brian talked to him and mentioned they had previously worked together Ray said 'You're a handsome looking fella.'"

He added: "I don't want to give anything away about the film, who wants to watch a film that they have heard about, it's like watching a football match after hearing the result. All I can say is it has a powerful message and with Ray's backing we hope it will get plenty of attention. I guess it was fate that Ray would help out given the history with King Arthur."

Mr Knox, the executive producer, has teamed up with his murdered son's friend Aaron Truss, a budding film producer from Chislehurst, to create the film expected to be released in weeks. It is hoped the film and a song, written by the teen's father, can be released in conjunction with a Rob Knox memorial event to be held at Charlton FC's The Valley ground on October 15. michael.adkins@archant.co.uk

0 comments

Latest Bexley news

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our Met Office video forecast.

Friday, October 19, 2018

Jamie Brown of Archant Local Impact explains how you can build brand awareness.

Friday, October 19, 2018

A Welling church was delighted to present representatives from the emergency services with cheques totalling an amazing £6,054 after its annual teddy bear charity appeal.

Friday, October 19, 2018

Following the incredible sell-out stage success of Not Dead Enough, The Perfect Murder and Dead Simple, the number one best-selling author Peter James is back with a spine-tingling new world premiere play, The House On Cold Hill, coming to the Orchard Theatre in January.

Thursday, October 18, 2018

A police officer based in Bexley has been served a final warning after he allegedly placed a man in a choke hold during a fight.

Thursday, October 18, 2018

Bexley’s NHS services will receive more than £900,000 of extra funding this winter to help alleviate growing pressures on our hospitals, the Department for Health announced yesterday (Wednesday, October 17).

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

People who live, work and travel across Kent, Thurrock, Essex and beyond are being invited to shape plans for Britain’s biggest road tunnel as Highways England hostrf the first of 60 public engagement events on the multi-billion pound Lower Thames Crossing project this week (Tuesday 16 October).

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

“Devastating” plans for a house of multiple occupancy in Sidcup have been approved despite pleas by residents.

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24