Search

My ordeal with train pervert’

PUBLISHED: 17:34 20 May 2009 | UPDATED: 16:43 25 August 2010

THE teenage victim of a sex predator who lurks at train stations before stalking his victims identified the suspect from an appeal in the Times.

EXCLUSIVE

THE teenage victim of a sex predator who lurks at train stations before stalking his victims identified the suspect from an appeal in the Times.

In the latest incident reported to police a 17-year-old girl, from Gravesend, was subjected to a terrifying 'lewd act' by a man at Crayford train station.

She agreed to an interview to warn others about the danger but instantly recognised the alleged suspect after being shown an appeal in last week's edition.

The college student was singled out by a man waiting on the platform, who realised she was alone when the train arrived and ran across the bridge to board, at midday last Tuesday.

She said: "Oh my God! That's him, I can't believe it. Just looking at him, he makes me sick. I can't believe he has done this before.

"I wanted to speak to the paper to warn other women about this man, I heard this had happened before but I can't believe I am staring at him in the paper.

"When the train pulled up I noticed this man staring at me from the opposite platform. It made me feel very uncomfortable, just staring. He purposely singled me out. Then suddenly he just started running over the bridge for the train."

The terrified teenager, who is now too scared to get back on a train, described how he boarded, walked through the carriages and sat opposite her.

After taking her make-up bag out to avoid contact with him she heard a noise and realised he was committing a lewd act and started approaching her.

The incident is almost identical to an appeal featured twice in the Times and most recently just last week.

On March 31 an 18-year-old was subjected to an almost identical attack on a train between Northfleet and London Bridge. CCTV of a man, who was also identified by the latest victim wanted in connection with the incident, was released by officers.

She added: "I was terrified. At this point he started to come towards me and instinct just kicked in, I ran. I ran as fast as I could through the carriages before I saw a boy about my age and sat near him. I hate to think what he would have done had I not run away so fast. He came straight for me. The minute the train stopped at Dartford I ran from the station, right into the centre of Dartford and collapsed sobbing into a friend's arms who I luckily spotted."

Officers searched the station and put a block on the train at Gravesend but he escaped and his latest victim fears another woman may not be so lucky.

She added: "I have to warn others about this man. What he could do to the next woman horrifies me. Please call the police if you know this man."

The Albany Park train, which left at 12.06pm, would have continued on to Stone Crossing, Greenhithe, Swanscombe and Northfleet before Gravesend.

Her mother added: "It makes me feel sick what he put my daughter through. We must catch him before he strikes again or does something worse. There may be other victims he targeted who have not spoken to police and should come forward."

A British Transport Police (BTP) spokesman said: "I can confirm that a second victim has come forward since the release of CCTV. This relates to a further incident on Tuesday, May 12 which is being investigated alongside the original offence on Tuesday, March 31. Officers are conducting local enquiries and reviewing CCTV. Although I can confirm we are not linking the suspect with any other offences at this time, we encourage anyone else who thinks that they have also been a victim to contact police."

Call 0800 40 50 40 with information.

michael.adkins@archant.co.uk

0 comments

Latest Bexley news

Thursday, October 18, 2018

A police officer based in Bexley has been served a final warning after he allegedly placed a man in a choke hold during a fight.

Thursday, October 18, 2018

Bexley’s NHS services will receive more than £900,000 of extra funding this winter to help alleviate growing pressures on our hospitals, the Department for Health announced yesterday (Wednesday, October 17).

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

People who live, work and travel across Kent, Thurrock, Essex and beyond are being invited to shape plans for Britain’s biggest road tunnel as Highways England hostrf the first of 60 public engagement events on the multi-billion pound Lower Thames Crossing project this week (Tuesday 16 October).

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

“Devastating” plans for a house of multiple occupancy in Sidcup have been approved despite pleas by residents.

Monday, October 15, 2018

The pub industry in Bexley, worth around £51million, could take a hit if beer duty is raised as expected in the chancellor’s budget today (Tuesday, October 16), Britain’s Beer Alliance has warned.

Monday, October 15, 2018

A cyclist who died after being hit by a lorry in Erith has been formally identified, as police officers appeal for witnesses to the tragic incident to come forward.

Monday, October 15, 2018

New proposals for Hall Place and Gardens will be discussed in next week’s Places Overview and Scrutiny Committee (October 16).

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our Met Office video forecast.

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24