Search

People power’ wins in park path dispute

PUBLISHED: 17:44 20 May 2009 | UPDATED: 16:43 25 August 2010

VICTORY: Reporter Marina Soteriou discusses the U-turn with Mr Gold.

VICTORY: Reporter Marina Soteriou discusses the U-turn with Mr Gold.

A SHADOW environment minister says a council u-turn on a village green has proven 'people power' works.

A SHADOW environment minister says a council u-turn on a village green has proven 'people power' works.

Nick Herbert met with campaigners on Monday who successfully fought Greenwich council's decision to have a footpath cut through Eltham Green.

Residents claimed they were not consulted on the path and only found out by waking up to the sight of diggers boring a trench into the turf to prepare it for tarmac.

Now council bosses have abandoned the plans and turfed over the trench after campaigners held daily protests on the green and signed a petition with hundreds of signatures.

Mr Herbert said: "It didn't make sense. Not consulting with residents shows that people didn't matter and they can do whatever they like, and that was wrong.

"They successfully resisted it and it shows that people power can work."

Learning mentor Sarah White, 44, of Green Way, said: "We were getting conflicting stories that the council didn't know about it and that they were council approved contractors doing the work.

"This green belongs to the people of Eltham."

Pensioner Mary Taylor, 78, who has lived in the area for 45 years, said: "I am pleased that the council have listened to the people.

"We are talking about the future of our children playing on the grounds.

"It would have been a huge scar.

"We need re-assurance that nothing like this will happen again."

Student Jennifer Garner, 22, of Greenway, said: "What a waste of time and money.

"There are pavements running around the green."

Mr Herbert could not reveal any ideas for the Tory environmental policy but said there is some 'exciting work' being undertaken in conservation.

A spokesperson for Greenwich council said: "Immediately following those resident complaints the council ceased the work.

"We have apologised unreservedly to local residents. We acknowledge that the correct procedures were not followed before this TfL-funded work went ahead, in that neither the service director's, nor the leader of the council's consent were sought, and consultation did not take place in advance with residents.

"We are carrying out an internal investigation to ascertain why normal processes for securing agreement to spend resources were not followed.

"The visit this week by a Shadow Minister has no bearing on the council's prompt response to residents last month as soon as their concerns came to light."

marina.soteriou@archant.co.uk

0 comments

Latest Bexley news

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

People who live, work and travel across Kent, Thurrock, Essex and beyond are being invited to shape plans for Britain’s biggest road tunnel as Highways England hostrf the first of 60 public engagement events on the multi-billion pound Lower Thames Crossing project this week (Tuesday 16 October).

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

“Devastating” plans for a house of multiple occupancy in Sidcup have been approved despite pleas by residents.

Monday, October 15, 2018

The pub industry in Bexley, worth around £51million, could take a hit if beer duty is raised as expected in the chancellor’s budget today (Tuesday, October 16), Britain’s Beer Alliance has warned.

Monday, October 15, 2018

A cyclist who died after being hit by a lorry in Erith has been formally identified, as police officers appeal for witnesses to the tragic incident to come forward.

Monday, October 15, 2018

New proposals for Hall Place and Gardens will be discussed in next week’s Places Overview and Scrutiny Committee (October 16).

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our Met Office video forecast.

Friday, October 12, 2018

The new UK and Ireland tour of Let It Be will be arriving at the Orchard Theatre on Monday, October 15.

Thursday, October 11, 2018

A number of warrants have been executed this morning (Wednesday, October 10) in Abbey Wood as part of a proactive operation targeting drugs and associated criminality.

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24