Search

Public nearly booted out of planning meeting as councillors give early approval for 60 homes at Old Farm Park

PUBLISHED: 09:21 30 May 2017 | UPDATED: 09:21 30 May 2017

The access to the park opposite Hollies Avenue, on Old Farm Avenue could be transformed into an access road

The access to the park opposite Hollies Avenue, on Old Farm Avenue could be transformed into an access road

Archant

Plans were approved on Thursday

A meeting to give outline approval for a 60-home housing development was marred last week when the public were told they could be thrown out for making too much noise.

Planning councillors met on Thursday to discuss an outline application for the development on the eastern half of Old Farm Park in Sidcup.

But when cries came from the gallery that residents couldn’t hear councillors talking over the planning notes, which include turning the park’s entrance on Old Farm Avenue into an access road, residents were warned they could be thrown out.

Sidcup resident John Johnson was in the gallery.

He said: “We asked the councillors to turn their microphones up so they could be heard, which they said they did but there wasn’t much improvement.

“We asked again, before we were warned that if we kept making noise we would be chucked out.

“There were alot of campaigners there who don’t want to see that park developed on, the council is talking about how they will redevelop the western half, that’s not the point, they should be protecting the entire space.

“I’ve lived in Sidcup for 30 years, the park is a meeting place for people and dog walkers alike.”

Under proposals, the western half of the site will be improved with, according to the council, “new pathways, water features, formal and informal play space, new planting and outdoor fitness equipment”.

A council spokesperson said: “We are sorry that problems with the sound at Thursday night’s planning committee made it more difficult than normal to hear all the discussion.

“The views of those who opposed the application were heard and the Committee considered all the written objections that were received.

“People are asked not to shout at all Council meetings, because this makes it difficult to hear those who are speaking. Those present responded to the Chairman’s request not to interrupt the discussion and after considering all the information before it the Committee approved the application.

“Further details of the development, including the design and layout of the residential units, will be submitted in due course.”

1 comment

  • Well.. isnt it obvious that the councillors are reacting to outside pressure to build houses .... we may elect them ...but they are not our friends

    Report this comment

    Peter Nicolson

    Thursday, June 1, 2017

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Latest Bexley news

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our Met Office video forecast.

Friday, October 19, 2018

Jamie Brown of Archant Local Impact explains how you can build brand awareness.

Friday, October 19, 2018

A Welling church was delighted to present representatives from the emergency services with cheques totalling an amazing £6,054 after its annual teddy bear charity appeal.

Friday, October 19, 2018

Following the incredible sell-out stage success of Not Dead Enough, The Perfect Murder and Dead Simple, the number one best-selling author Peter James is back with a spine-tingling new world premiere play, The House On Cold Hill, coming to the Orchard Theatre in January.

Thursday, October 18, 2018

A police officer based in Bexley has been served a final warning after he allegedly placed a man in a choke hold during a fight.

Thursday, October 18, 2018

Bexley’s NHS services will receive more than £900,000 of extra funding this winter to help alleviate growing pressures on our hospitals, the Department for Health announced yesterday (Wednesday, October 17).

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

People who live, work and travel across Kent, Thurrock, Essex and beyond are being invited to shape plans for Britain’s biggest road tunnel as Highways England hostrf the first of 60 public engagement events on the multi-billion pound Lower Thames Crossing project this week (Tuesday 16 October).

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

“Devastating” plans for a house of multiple occupancy in Sidcup have been approved despite pleas by residents.

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24