Search

Rapist barricaded himself in room with 17-year-old girl before launching “predatory and ruthless attack”

PUBLISHED: 09:20 17 July 2017 | UPDATED: 12:24 17 July 2017

Brion was handed a 12 year prison sentence

Brion was handed a 12 year prison sentence

Archant

The incident happened in 2015

A rapist who barricaded himself into a room with his 17-year-old victim was jailed for 12 years last week.

Wernher Brion, 59, of Sydney Road in Bexleyheath, met his victim at a Northumberland Heath pub on July 19 2015.

The victim had gone out with friends when Brion, a regular at the pub, bought them a round of drinks and invited them back to his house after closing time.

Returning to his home, the victim said she felt unwell and she was offered a sofa to sleep on in a spare room.

Shortly after, Brion, more than 40 years older than his victim, entered the room and used an armchair to block the door.

The rapist then launched his attack, which police have described as “ruthless”.

Later that night, officers were called to Welling home after they were called by the victim’s father.

On arrival, the teenager told officers she had just been raped.

A Met Police spokesperson said Brion was “quickly identified” and arrested at his home shortly after the complaint was made.

Despite the quick arrest, Brion was charged more than a year later, on October 7 2016, with rape of a female over 16 years.

He was found guilty at the Old Bailey on June 13, and was sentenced to 12 years in prison and a further three years on licence on Friday, July 14.

Det const Aidan Kersley, of the Met’s Sexual Offences, Exploitation and Child Abuse Command (SOECA), said: “The defendant committed a predatory and ruthless attack on a defenceless young woman for his own sexual gratification.

“I would like thank the victim in this case and the other young witnesses for the courage they showed throughout this investigation and the subsequent trial.

Detective Inspector Kate Kieran, of SOECA, said: “This case demonstrates that anyone who may have suffered a similar attack can be reassured that if they come forward their complaint will be taken seriously and investigated fully by the Metropolitan Police.

“Anyone who believes they have been a victim of crime is urged to call police on 101 or, in an emergency, dial 999.”

An NSPCC spokesperson said: “Brion took advantage of his young victim’s vulnerable state and subjected her to a terrifying ordeal.

“Despite the fact the attack will have had a profound impact on her emotional and mental wellbeing, Brion’s victim summoned up the strength to speak out about her experience to ensure justice was served and for that she must be commended.

“We hope she has received all the available help and support to help her move forward with her life and that today’s sentence brings her some sense of closure.”

Latest Bexley news

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our Met Office video forecast.

Friday, October 19, 2018

Jamie Brown of Archant Local Impact explains how you can build brand awareness.

Friday, October 19, 2018

A Welling church was delighted to present representatives from the emergency services with cheques totalling an amazing £6,054 after its annual teddy bear charity appeal.

Friday, October 19, 2018

Following the incredible sell-out stage success of Not Dead Enough, The Perfect Murder and Dead Simple, the number one best-selling author Peter James is back with a spine-tingling new world premiere play, The House On Cold Hill, coming to the Orchard Theatre in January.

Thursday, October 18, 2018

A police officer based in Bexley has been served a final warning after he allegedly placed a man in a choke hold during a fight.

Thursday, October 18, 2018

Bexley’s NHS services will receive more than £900,000 of extra funding this winter to help alleviate growing pressures on our hospitals, the Department for Health announced yesterday (Wednesday, October 17).

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

People who live, work and travel across Kent, Thurrock, Essex and beyond are being invited to shape plans for Britain’s biggest road tunnel as Highways England hostrf the first of 60 public engagement events on the multi-billion pound Lower Thames Crossing project this week (Tuesday 16 October).

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

“Devastating” plans for a house of multiple occupancy in Sidcup have been approved despite pleas by residents.

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24