Search

Removal of wrong organ one of allegations facing South London Healthcare Trust gynaecologist

08:57 20 September 2013

Rod Irvine did most of his work at Queen Mary

Rod Irvine did most of his work at Queen Mary's Hospital in Sidcup

Archant

The removal of the wrong organ and unneccesary surgery - these are some of the allegations facing a South London Healthcare Trust gynaecologist, according to a law firm representing women taking legal action for alleged malpractice.

Consultant Rod Irvine, who did most of his work at Queen Mary’s Hospital in Sidcup, was excluded from the trust last November and letters have been sent to almost 2,000 women operated on by him over the last decade - and at least 66 of these cases are under scrutiny.

Solicitors Bolton Burdon Kemp are representing some of these women and they have lifted the lid on what some of the cases relate to, including inexcusable mistakes known as a never event.

Caroline Klage, partner and medical negligence specialist at the firm, said: “The fact that the trust have suspended Rod Irvine from all clinical work pending the outcome of a formal investigation into his practice is an indication that they are taking this matter very seriously indeed.

“Whilst it is positive that they have contacted all of the women potentially affected, it is likely that this news will be extremely worrying and upsetting for a lot of women, especially if they are suffering ongoing problems following surgical procedures carried out by Mr Irvine. It is vital that in these situations, women seek independent legal advice rather than relying on assurances provided by the trust.”

While the investigation has been ongoing, Mr Irvine has been barred from working at the trust’s hospital while restrictions have been placed on his NHS work elsewhere by the General Medical Council.

Concerns were initially raised in August 2012 but after news broke of the trust’s investigation Mr Irvine was quick to respond to what he called an “attack on his integrity.”

He said: “Throughout my career I have acted with integrity and honesty and tried to do the best for my patients. Patient care is of paramount importance to me”

We are awaiting a comment from South London Healthcare Trust.

0 comments

Latest Bexley news

Thursday, May 28, 2015
Alex Sawyer

Cllr Gareth Bacon has stepped down from cabinet

Wednesday, May 27, 2015
Clothes at a market

Trading Standards confiscated nearly 160 items

Wednesday, May 27, 2015
Kent Police

He remains in custody

Tuesday, May 26, 2015
Kaylie Hatton

She attended a police station this afternoon with Fred Finch, 51

Tuesday, May 26, 2015
Matthew's image of the London Eye

Matthew Wignall’s images will be displayed nationwide

Tuesday, May 26, 2015
The adventurous team from Greenwich and Bexley Community Hospice

Adventurers take part in high ropes challenge too

Most read news

Competitions

The sell out 2014 event 32 Londoners, returns to the Coca-Cola London Eye!

The Coca-Cola London Eye is proud to announce that 32 Londoners will be returning this June, following last year’s sell out event. The event will feature 32 talks, in each of the London Eye’s 32 capsules on 32 extraordinary Londoners.

You could take in stunning views of London over brunch at the Sky Garden

Celebrate lighter, brighter days with the chance of winning an indulgent brunch for two with a bottle of bubbles at Darwin, the cool and casual brasserie 36 floors up at Sky Garden.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today E-edition