Search

Rethink this toll crossing misery’

PUBLISHED: 11:30 27 August 2009 | UPDATED: 17:05 25 August 2010

DELAYS at an unpopular toll crossing have remained the same despite crossings being at a ten-year low.

DELAYS at an unpopular toll crossing have remained the same despite crossings being at a ten-year low.

The number of vehicles using the Dartford Crossing has fallen by 1.5 million in the past year, but commuters still face the miserable task of being stuck in a long and slow-moving queue of cars.

Now Old Bexley and Sidcup Conservative parliamentary hopeful James Brokenshire has written to the Transport Minister Lord Adonis demanding for better use of the bridge and the tunnels.

He also called for an examination of the impact on traffic flows during the recent power cut in Dartford, which led to motorists not being charged for several hours. It is another boost for our 'Stop the Toll' campaign which has been supported by more than a thousand readers.

Mr Brokenshire said: "Nearly half of all motorists experience hold ups at the Crossing and it has one of the highest levels of delays on the national road network. The Government argues that the tolls at the Crossing are intended to control congestion yet by their own admission, they are the cause.

"Vehicle movements have been falling for several years and it is perverse that delays seem to be getting worse than better. We need a complete rethink as the current situation simply isn't acceptable or sustainable."

A report published by the Highways Agency also found that the current toll plaza layout was the "primary constraint to vehicles using the crossing" with 150,000 vehicles using it a day.

It read: "The efficient operation of the Dartford Crossing is an essential element that maintains the economic prosperity of the UK.

"Given existing congestion levels and the report's conclusion that the Crossing is already operating at its effective capacity for much of the day, ongoing development growth will contribute to increased demand which cannot be accommodated at the Crossing.

"This, in turn could lead to further shortfalls in the delivery of growth targets in the Thames Gateway."

The report's authors Parsons Brinckerhoff said HGVs using the Crossing will also increase substantially in future years.

A Department for Transport spokesperson said: "More vehicles want to use the Crossing than it can accommodate. Studies indicate that without any charge traffic levels would be even higher leading to even more extensive congestion and seriously worsening pollution on the Crossing.

Earlier this year a study by the Department of Transport identified three options for a new crossing in the long-term and one-way tolling in the short-term.

marina.soteriou@archant.co.uk

0 comments

Latest Bexley news

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Police are investigating after a woman and a two-year-old girl were hit by a car which broke free while being towed in Bexleyheath yesterday.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Controversial plans to open an African restaurant for 18 hours a day next to retirement homes have been refused by councillors.

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our Met Office video forecast.

Friday, October 19, 2018

Jamie Brown of Archant Local Impact explains how you can build brand awareness.

Friday, October 19, 2018

A Welling church was delighted to present representatives from the emergency services with cheques totalling an amazing £6,054 after its annual teddy bear charity appeal.

Friday, October 19, 2018

Following the incredible sell-out stage success of Not Dead Enough, The Perfect Murder and Dead Simple, the number one best-selling author Peter James is back with a spine-tingling new world premiere play, The House On Cold Hill, coming to the Orchard Theatre in January.

Thursday, October 18, 2018

A police officer based in Bexley has been served a final warning after he allegedly placed a man in a choke hold during a fight.

Thursday, October 18, 2018

Bexley’s NHS services will receive more than £900,000 of extra funding this winter to help alleviate growing pressures on our hospitals, the Department for Health announced yesterday (Wednesday, October 17).

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24