Search

Sidcup Garden Project could receive grant of up to £12,000

PUBLISHED: 16:24 22 February 2016 | UPDATED: 16:24 22 February 2016

Volunteers from Sidcup Garden Project

Volunteers from Sidcup Garden Project

Archant

The grant’s funding comes from the 5p bag charge

A grant programme funded by the 5p bag charge at Tesco has shortlisted a Sidcup community project.

The Sidcup Garden Project was launched by local councillor Rob Leitch in June last year, and encouraged volunteers to restore the walled garden in Sidcup Place.

With 25 active members of the community taking part in the project, along with support from nine local businesses, flower beds have already started to be planted.

Now the Tesco funding initiative “Bags of Help”, which offers grants of up to £12,000 for community projects has shortlisted the group to support its work.

Cllr Leitch expressed his joy at being shortlisted, as he discussed the big dreams he has for Sidcup Place.

He said: “I am delighted that Tesco have shortlisted the Sidcup Garden Project for a ‘Bags of Help’ grant. This project continues to be an expression of Sidcup’s true community spirit.

“Put simply, without the dedicated and tireless work of local residents, Sidcup’s walled garden would have fallen into total disuse.

“Rather than allowing this to happen, local residents and businesses have come together to rescue and rejuvenate a valuable open space, for the enjoyment and use by Sidcup’s local residents and visitors alike.

“With the summer months and Sidcup Garden Project’s first anniversary fast approaching, we need to push on to complete the restoration.

“I would urge locals to visit their local Tesco store over the coming weeks and vote to support the Sidcup Garden Project.

“I always said that I wanted this community project to make it to the Chelsea Flower Show one day - who knows, with enough support from the community, the sky is the limit.”

Voters can cast their vote between February 28 and March 6. The scheme will see three community groups in the are granted either £12,000, £10,000 and £8,000.

Latest Bexley news

Friday, September 21, 2018

Kent’s Joe Denly and Rory Burns of Surrey earned earned their first Test call-ups for England’s forthcoming tour of Sri Lanka on Friday, but national selector Ed Smith insists there is no pressure to become “the new Alastair Cook”.

Thursday, September 20, 2018

The 80-year-old, who has scored more than 300 games, earned praise from England cricketer Stuart Broad

Thursday, September 20, 2018

County Championship Division Two: Glamorgan (186 & 78) lost by an innings and 172 runs to Kent (436)

Thursday, September 20, 2018

Kent centurion Zak Crawley admitted it felt good to finally score his maiden century for the county on Wednesday.

Thursday, September 20, 2018

At the age of 15, notorious Bexley criminal Kenneth Noye left Bexleyheath School in 1962.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Kent opener Zak Crawley hit a fluent maiden first-class century to bolster his side’s promotion hopes and leave the Hop County in total command of their Specsavers County Championship clash with Division Two basement side Glamorgan.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

A Yellow warning has been issued by the Met Office for the east of England as “very strong winds” are expected tomorrow evening and Friday morning.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

The independent police watchdog has launched an investigation after a man in his 30s died while being detained by police in Bexleyheath on Monday night (September 17).

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24