Search

Stephen Cameron’s father calls on government to block road rage killer Kenneth Noye’s transfer to open prison

PUBLISHED: 09:32 17 July 2017

Kenneth Noye

Kenneth Noye

Archant

Newly-appointed justice secretary David Lidington will consider the parole board’s recommendation and make a decision “in due course”

The father of murdered Stephen Cameron is calling on the government to do “the right thing” and block killer Kenneth Noye’s proposed transfer to an open prison.

Bexleyheath-born Noye, now 70, was convicted of murder in April 2000 and sentenced to life with a minimum term of 16 years, after stabbing the 21-year-old electrician from Dartford to death in an attack on the M25 in Kent in 1996.

He was recommended for release a year ago but then-justice secretary Michael Gove blocked the move, much to the relief of the victim’s family.

However, Noye then won a High Court appeal in February against a decision blocking him access to an open prison, and a parole board recommended the transfer earlier this month.

The government says it will now consider the recommendation and make a decision “in due course”.

Speaking to The Sun, Mr Cameron’s father, Ken, is calling on newly-appointed justice secretary David Lidington to block the move and keep him behind bars for the rest of his life.

He said: “I am totally gutted. It’s devastating.

“I was out shopping when the call came in. Even though I was expecting it is still a shock.

“I just hope the new justice secretary David Lidington does the right thing and is strong enough to block this recommendation.

“If Noye goes to an open prison he will just disappear – no doubt about it.

“I’m sure he’ll have money stashed away and he’ll vanish from open prison to live out the rest of his days somewhere.

“Our Stephen didn’t get a chance of a life. His fiancée had to change her identity and move away from us and her family. We have all lived a life sentence.

“I have never wanted revenge, I have only wanted justice for Stephen. And I do not think that man deserves to be on the streets.

“He should die in prison, and I hope he does.”

Latest Bexley news

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Kent travel to Birmingham for their Specsavers County Championship Division Two title showdown with Warwickshire starting on Monday.

Saturday, September 22, 2018

We talk to hundreds of local business owners every day; we hear their concerns, understand their challenges and share in their successes.

Friday, September 21, 2018

Kent’s Joe Denly and Rory Burns of Surrey earned earned their first Test call-ups for England’s forthcoming tour of Sri Lanka on Friday, but national selector Ed Smith insists there is no pressure to become “the new Alastair Cook”.

Thursday, September 20, 2018

The 80-year-old, who has scored more than 300 games, earned praise from England cricketer Stuart Broad

Thursday, September 20, 2018

County Championship Division Two: Glamorgan (186 & 78) lost by an innings and 172 runs to Kent (436)

Thursday, September 20, 2018

Kent centurion Zak Crawley admitted it felt good to finally score his maiden century for the county on Wednesday.

Thursday, September 20, 2018

At the age of 15, notorious Bexley criminal Kenneth Noye left Bexleyheath School in 1962.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Kent opener Zak Crawley hit a fluent maiden first-class century to bolster his side’s promotion hopes and leave the Hop County in total command of their Specsavers County Championship clash with Division Two basement side Glamorgan.

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24