Search

Stephen Cameron’s father ‘totally let down’ as government confirms open prison transfer for killer Kenneth Noye

PUBLISHED: 09:38 09 August 2017 | UPDATED: 09:38 09 August 2017

Victim Stephen Cameron

Victim Stephen Cameron

Archant

Mr Cameron was stabbed to death in an attack on the M25 in 1996

The father of murdered Stephen Cameron feels “totally let down” after the government approved plans to move his son’s killer to an open prison.

Bexleyheath-born Kenneth Noye, now 70, was convicted of murder in April 2000 and sentenced to life with a minimum term of 16 years, after stabbing the 21-year-old electrician from Dartford to death in an attack on the M25 in Kent in 1996.

Last month, Mr Cameron’s father, Ken, called on ministers to “do the right thing” and block the transfer after it was recommended by Noye’s parole board, however justice secretary David Lidington accepted the verdict on Tuesday.

Speaking to The Mirror, he slammed the government’s decision to move Noye to a lower security prison: “I feel totally let down. I’ve had a few tears. That’s not justice for Stephen.

“In open prison Noye will have day trips out and can go home for Christmas. That’s not justice. I’m gutted.

“I was told he’s been a really good boy, has done an anger management course and rehabilitation courses so he doesn’t reoffend.

“He says what they want to hear and knows how to play the game because he’s spent half his life in prison.

“The justice system has let us down. He had a fight with Stephen, he ­instigated it but Stephen gave him a good hiding so he went to his car to get a knife.

“He could have driven off but decided to go back and murder Stephen. He should be in for at least 25 years.”

A plan will now be drawn up for the timing of the transfer, which is expected to take place within six weeks, while officials will also weigh up which establishment Noye will be moved to.

Transfers from higher security categories to open conditions are generally part of a long-term path towards release, depending on the prisoner’s progress in a number of areas.

Offenders’ suitability for returning to the community are tested by exposing them to conditions more similar to those they would encounter on the outside.

Noye would be assessed again by the parole board before he can be released.

Latest Bexley news

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Kent travel to Birmingham for their Specsavers County Championship Division Two title showdown with Warwickshire starting on Monday.

Saturday, September 22, 2018

We talk to hundreds of local business owners every day; we hear their concerns, understand their challenges and share in their successes.

Friday, September 21, 2018

Kent’s Joe Denly and Rory Burns of Surrey earned earned their first Test call-ups for England’s forthcoming tour of Sri Lanka on Friday, but national selector Ed Smith insists there is no pressure to become “the new Alastair Cook”.

Thursday, September 20, 2018

The 80-year-old, who has scored more than 300 games, earned praise from England cricketer Stuart Broad

Thursday, September 20, 2018

County Championship Division Two: Glamorgan (186 & 78) lost by an innings and 172 runs to Kent (436)

Thursday, September 20, 2018

Kent centurion Zak Crawley admitted it felt good to finally score his maiden century for the county on Wednesday.

Thursday, September 20, 2018

At the age of 15, notorious Bexley criminal Kenneth Noye left Bexleyheath School in 1962.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Kent opener Zak Crawley hit a fluent maiden first-class century to bolster his side’s promotion hopes and leave the Hop County in total command of their Specsavers County Championship clash with Division Two basement side Glamorgan.

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24