Search

Thamesmead fire brings brigade cigarette warning

PUBLISHED: 12:44 20 September 2012

sub

A lit cigarette is thought to be the cause of a serious maisonette fire in Thamesmead.

Fire chiefs think it was accidentally thrown down from the flat above the property in Coralline Walk on Tuesday (September 18).

Four engines and 20 firefighters from Erith and Plumstead stations attended the scene at around 9.30pm, taking an hour to put out the blaze.

Six people escaped before the brigade arrived and no one was injured.

Watch manager Stewart Button said: “It is so important to fully extinguish your cigarettes and dispose of them safely. It is very lucky no one was injured.”

0 comments

Latest Bexley news

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Eileen Pallen said it was a ‘pleasure’ to open them

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Can you help? Micayla Wheeler was last seen at 3.30pm on May 23

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Officer numbers have also been increased on the streets

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Ms Pallen raised a substantial amount for her two chosen chairities

Most read news

Competitions

Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder