Thamesmead fire brings brigade cigarette warning

12:44 20 September 2012


A lit cigarette is thought to be the cause of a serious maisonette fire in Thamesmead.

Fire chiefs think it was accidentally thrown down from the flat above the property in Coralline Walk on Tuesday (September 18).

Four engines and 20 firefighters from Erith and Plumstead stations attended the scene at around 9.30pm, taking an hour to put out the blaze.

Six people escaped before the brigade arrived and no one was injured.

Watch manager Stewart Button said: “It is so important to fully extinguish your cigarettes and dispose of them safely. It is very lucky no one was injured.”


Latest Bexley news

Friday, October 28, 2016

He was found to be making a profit of nearly £200 a month from one sub-letter

Friday, October 28, 2016

Step into Dance will run in London throughout November and December

Friday, October 28, 2016

Lord Harris’ review into the capital’s preparedness for a terrorist incident has been published today

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Sean Watson suffered a massive brain haemorrhage 13 years ago

Thursday, October 27, 2016

BT believes 19 payphones are not viable

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Motorists are advised to avoid the area

Thursday, October 27, 2016

The money would be spent on projects to boost the profile of the district

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Candice Brown has been named winner of the last series of The Great British Bake Off to air on the BBC

Most read news


Cosmetics, toiletries, vitamins and more. Boots is the number one choice when it comes to purchasing daily essentials.

If you’re obsessed with Apple or just love a good gadget, this is a prize that will blow you away! An incredible £3,333 to spend on Apple goodies! How would you like to be the proud new owner of the Apple Watch?

Digital Edition

Read the Bexley Times e-edition today E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up


Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder