May 19 2013 Latest news:
Robin Cottle, Reporter
Thursday, July 26, 2012
An iron which was not turned off caused a fire in Thamesmead.
It happened in a third floor block of flats in Defence Close in the early hours of Thursday (July 26) morning. The appliance set fire to some nearby clothing to start the blaze.
Firefighters brought it under control quickly but there was extensive smoke damage to the property.
Plumstead’s watch manager Ian Murray attended the scene. He said: “Leaving an electrical appliance on when you leave home can be incredibly dangerous. Thankfully, no one was hurt but it shows how quickly a fire can develop.
“You should always check you’ve switched off your appliances - particularly those that get hot - before you leave the house.”
Four engines attended the scene from Plumstead, Woolwich and Erith stations. The brigade were called at 12.41am and it was under control by 1.20.