Search

Timetable set out for Dartford Crossing toll booth removal

PUBLISHED: 12:31 13 November 2014 | UPDATED: 12:31 13 November 2014

Dartford crossing

Dartford crossing

Archant

Under Dart Charge drivers will no longer stop at a barrier to pay the charge

With the launch of Dart Charge set for November 30, more details have been announced today about how the Dartford Crossing payment booths will be removed.

Work to remove the booths and improve the road layout on approach to the crossing will begin on November 28 - the same weekend the new payment arrangements go live.

Highways Agency project director Nigel Gray said: “The payment booths have been part of the Dartford landscape since 1963 but they contribute to congestion and cause delays. That’s why they are being removed and we are introducing a new payment system called Dart Charge.

“From November 30, drivers will no longer pay at the booths. Instead they will pay in advance or by midnight the day after crossing, helping to speed up journeys.”

Under Dart Charge, drivers will no longer stop at a barrier to pay the charge.

Instead, they will pay online, by phone, by post or in one of thousands of payzone retail outlets.

Last week, the Highways Agency announced a new advertising campaign, part of a £1.1 million information campaign to help people prepare for the changes.

Dart Charge will come into effect at 6am on November 30, and the last cash payment will be taken at the Crossing around 10pm on November 29.

The new payment arrangements will signal the start of major work to improve the road layout at the Crossing with 27 lanes of traffic reduced to 4 in each direction and a new safety system of traffic signals and barriers on the approach to the tunnels northbound, which will prevent over-height vehicles from entering the tunnels, hold traffic in case of an incident or congestion in the tunnel, and allow the safe release of vehicles under escort (eg hazardous loads).

The roadworks will continue until spring 2015 when drivers will feel the full benefit of the changes through quicker journey times. Until then drivers can expect some delays but all work is being planned to minimise disruption. During construction temporary speed limits and road layouts will be in use so drivers should follow instructions on road signs.

Connect Plus is the organisation which operates the M25. Connect Plus Services is facilitating the delivery of the physical changes at the Crossing.

Erwan Huerre, Connect Plus Services transition manager said: “Initially, we’ll work to demolish the southbound booths and drivers should see the benefits travelling over the QEII Bridge after the first weekend of demolition. On the northbound side, the works will take longer to complete because we need to construct a new tunnel safety system.

“During this time, road users will still need to travel through the existing barriers, but they won’t be able to stop and pay here anymore. The reason we need to keep the barriers at this stage is to stop over-sized or non-compliant vehicles from using the tunnel.”

To find out more about Dart Charge, or to register for updates please visit www.gov.uk/highways/dartford

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Bexley Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Bexley Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Bexley Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Bexley news

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

People who live, work and travel across Kent, Thurrock, Essex and beyond are being invited to shape plans for Britain’s biggest road tunnel as Highways England hostrf the first of 60 public engagement events on the multi-billion pound Lower Thames Crossing project this week (Tuesday 16 October).

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

“Devastating” plans for a house of multiple occupancy in Sidcup have been approved despite pleas by residents.

Monday, October 15, 2018

The pub industry in Bexley, worth around £51million, could take a hit if beer duty is raised as expected in the chancellor’s budget today (Tuesday, October 16), Britain’s Beer Alliance has warned.

Monday, October 15, 2018

A cyclist who died after being hit by a lorry in Erith has been formally identified, as police officers appeal for witnesses to the tragic incident to come forward.

Monday, October 15, 2018

New proposals for Hall Place and Gardens will be discussed in next week’s Places Overview and Scrutiny Committee (October 16).

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our Met Office video forecast.

Friday, October 12, 2018

The new UK and Ireland tour of Let It Be will be arriving at the Orchard Theatre on Monday, October 15.

Thursday, October 11, 2018

A number of warrants have been executed this morning (Wednesday, October 10) in Abbey Wood as part of a proactive operation targeting drugs and associated criminality.

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24