Search

Uber’s safety record ‘no worse than rest of private hire industry’ says Gareth Bacon

PUBLISHED: 16:34 27 September 2017

Transport for London says it has informed Uber that it

Transport for London says it has informed Uber that it "will not be issued with a private hire operator licence". Yui Mok/PA Wire

The Bexley and Bromley assembly member has leapt to the defence of the the cab firm

Gareth Bacon has defended cab firm Uber as it faces losing its London licence following a ruling for Transport for London last week.

TfL claimed Uber was “not fit and proper” to operate in the capital, as it decided not to renew the cab app’s licence on the grounds of “public safety and security implications”.

The issues raised by TfL include Uber’s approach to reporting serious criminal offences, how drivers’ medical certificates are obtained, how criminal record checks are carried out, and its use of technology which allegedly helps it to evade law enforcement.

But the Tory Assembly member for Bexley and Bromley has come out today in defence of the company, which is set to appeal TfL’s decision.

Mr Bacon said: “Uber has broken the status quo of getting a cab - much to the dismay of those who previously held a monopoly on the industry.

“Yes there are elements of their business that need tidying up – but we should not be taken in by the smear campaigns of its opponents. Uber’s safety record is no worse than the rest of the private-hire industry.

“Mayor Sadiq Khan frequently tells us that ‘London is open for business’. Why then has he, through TfL, refused to grant an innovative firm like Uber a new licence to operate in the capital?

“Not only will this decision impact the 3.5million users and 40,000 drivers in our city, it has also caused reputational damage to London as a place that encourages innovation and creativity.”

Mr Khan gave his backing to TfL’s decision on Friday, but has since urged to chiefs to “make themselves available” to meet with Uber chief executive Dara Khosrowshahi, who on Monday accepted that it had “got things wrong”.

Latest Bexley news

Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Wildlife enthusiasts are calling for “embarrassing” fly-tipping that is blighting marshland in Bexley to be cleared up.

Monday, November 19, 2018

A father has been found not guilty of killing his 10-week-old baby.

Monday, November 19, 2018

Entrepreneur Jo Malone has said her success is down to making “people smile and feel good” as she was made a CBE by the Prince of Wales.

Saturday, November 17, 2018

A man who ran over two elderly women with his electric wheelchair was sentenced on Friday, November 16 at Southwark Crown Court.

Saturday, November 17, 2018

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our Met Office video forecast.

Friday, November 16, 2018

Christmas 2018 and the Northern Lights are welcomed to Bexleyheath on Saturday, November 17 with a spectacular mix of music and dance from stilt walkers to bhangra dancers, and acoustic artists to fire shows.

Friday, November 16, 2018

Now back from recording the second series of All Together Now, Brit School teacher and Bromley local Georg Tormann is now warming up for Christmas with his Beckenham-based choir.

Thursday, November 15, 2018

A Bexley artist has raised her concerns that a revamp of Hall Place will see the death of the art scene in the area.

Most read news

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bexley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bexley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24