Search

Allotment road fury

PUBLISHED: 16:22 06 May 2010 | UPDATED: 17:54 25 August 2010

DANGER: Residents Jules Davis and

DANGER: Residents Jules Davis and

ALLOTMENT users fear people leaving their venue are at risk turning into a road because of poor visibility created by parked cars.

ALLOTMENT users fear people leaving their venue are at risk turning into a road because of poor visibility created by parked cars.

Road safety bosses have so far refused to put double yellow lines next to the exit to over 100 allotments in Old Farm Avenue, Sidcup, where an accident has happened because there were "higher priority" areas elsewhere.

Users are particularly concerned for children leaving the site by bike on weekends when the allotments are busiest.

The Times spoke to 68-year-old Jules Davis, of Middle Park Avenue, Eltham, who was just leaving the site in his Nissan Micra on Tuesday morning.

Mr Davis said: "You take your life into your hands turning into this road. Because you can't see anything coming from the right when cars are parked there, I edge out, wait for a car passing to stop the oncoming traffic then turn left. It's a dangerous junction."

Chairman of Old Farm Avenue Allotment Association, John Johnson, of Arlington Close, Sidcup, narrowly avoided a collision with another car earlier this year. He is concerned that someone, especially a child, could be seriously injured.

He wrote to Bexley council in February on behalf of members requesting double yellow lines of roughly 10m at the exit.

Deputy director Mike Frizoni said one accident was fewer than at other places deemed a higher priority. Dropped kerbs, he wrote, were not protected by waiting restrictions as a "matter of policy".

Mr Johnson, who has tended an allotment in Old Farm Avenue for 20 years, said: "What is unreasonable about our request? All we ask is for someone to come down from the council and take a look, but nobody has.

"On a weekend you can regularly get 50 to 80 adults and youngsters come to the allotments.

"Sooner or later a serious accident is going to happen."

A spokeswoman for Bexley council said: "The request will be added to the list of waiting restrictions and considered by the cabinet member for transport when the requests are next reviewed.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Bexley Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists