Bar boss grilled for hygiene horror
PUBLISHED: 10:19 19 November 2009 | UPDATED: 17:20 25 August 2010
A KEBAB house was so infested with cockroaches that a pesticide spray sent dozens swarming out of a hole in the wall, a court heard. Mayuk Chakravati, 29, of Bloomfield Road, Greenwich, pleaded guilty to all eight charges against him under breaches of th
A KEBAB house was so infested with cockroaches that a pesticide spray sent dozens swarming out of a hole in the wall, a court heard.
Mayuk Chakravati, 29, of Bloomfield Road, Greenwich, pleaded guilty to all eight charges against him under breaches of the Food Hygiene Regulations 2006 at Southwark Crown Court last Wednesday.
Mouse droppings mixed in with salad, cockroaches crawling over food and a filthy fan blowing dirt over rocket lettuce were among the grisly sight greeting inspectors at the Mimosa Bar and Grill, Oxford Circus, managed by Chakravati.
He let brother Autri run the venue while he picked up a certificate in food hygiene in his other job as a catering manager.
Southwark Crown Court heard that cooks had no access to hot water at the restaurant after the heater was disconnected.
A surprise inspection revealed the state of the St James's street restaurant on June 18, 2008.
They arrived to find staff frantically trying to clean up the premises.
William Davis, prosecuting, said inspectors found mouse droppings on all surfaces, while cockroaches were in the walls, floors and on food.
"Every time the inspector went into one room staff were trying to clean up," he said.
"They were trying to cover their tracks.
"One of the inspectors sprayed a small amount of cockroach spray into a hole in a wall panel.
"Two large German cockroaches fell out.
"Then they looked up the wall. It was covered with fast moving German cockroaches at all stages of development, from nymph to adult."
Simon Antrobus, said his client was responsible for the business as a company director for Indeblue Ltd, which owned the Mimosa.
He had become the sole director after the death of his father the year before.
Mr Antrobus admitted that Chakravati was guilty of neglecting his duties but said he had taken on too much.
The judge, Mr Recorder Richard Spearman, blasted the defendant for his "very serious dereliction of duty as a company director".
Judge Spearman said: "It's absolutely clear the premises were in a filthy state.
"Fortunately there was no evidence of any harm to members of the public."
Chakravati was fined £5,000 and ordered to pay £2,000 costs.
Earlier this year he was awarded a certificate in food safety and continues to work as a catering manager in Earl's Court.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.