Search

Bexley tops Olympic Torch Relay spending

PUBLISHED: 14:12 20 May 2013 | UPDATED: 14:52 20 May 2013

Bexley's Olympic Torch Relay was the joint-most expensive in the country

Bexley's Olympic Torch Relay was the joint-most expensive in the country

Archant

New figures have revealed that the Bexley Olympic Torch Relay was the joint most expensive in the country last year.

The procession through the borough cost £279,000 on July 22, just five days before the start of the 2012 Olympics. Only fellow London borough Waltham Forest could match that amount.

To coincide with the one-year anniversary of the start of the relay yesterday (May 19), a freedom of information request revealed the national average for the two-month relay was £40,000 per local authority.

Former heavyweight boxing world champion Lennox Lewis lit the torch on the stage after a celebratory concert in Danson Park after it had made its way from Erith Yacht Club, where club member Aaron Reynolds arrived via speedboat.

A Bexley Council spokesman said: “More than 1,650 people took part in the community activities in the lead up to the relay, and around 100,000 spectators turned out on the day to watch the relay and the evening celebration.”

“They were once-in-a-lifetime events. Bexley coordinated day 65 of the relay and 60 per cent of the total budget, £166,000, was secured from external funds while the remaining 40 per cent was met from existing budgets.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Bexley Times