Search

Black cab serial sex attacker fails appeal bid to cut jail term

PUBLISHED: 11:38 17 June 2010 | UPDATED: 18:02 25 August 2010

THE Black cab rapist could spend the rest of his life in prison after failing in his bid to cut his indefinite sentence.

THE Black cab rapist could spend the rest of his life in prison after failing in his bid to cut his indefinite sentence.

John Derek Worboys, 53, who was convicted last year of a string of sexual offences on 12 women, had his appeal rejected at the Court of Appeal on Tuesday.

He was convicted at Croydon Crown Court in March last year for a string of offences over a period of 18 months, including one rape, numerous sexual assaults and drugging charges.

The serial sex attacker was originally arrested by Plumstead police following a complaint by a 19-year-old Eltham student on July 26, 2007, who told them she had been sexually assaulted by the driver of a London cab.

But, police failed to search his Rotherhite home and later dropped the case, leaving him free to attack more women.

On Tuesday, his barrister, Adam Watkins, told Lord Justice Moses that Worboys now accepted that his previously submitted grounds of appeal were "unsustainable" and had to be withdrawn.

Yet, he asked the judge, sitting with Mr Justice Holman and Mrs Justice Rafferty, for an adjournment in order to investigate the forensic evidence at the trial.

Rejecting the application, Lord Justice Moses told the court there was "no basis for anything other than dismissing this appeal".

Worboys had been tried by a jury and could not expect a second trial by judges at the Court of Appeal, he said.

He added: "Advancing unsustainable grounds cannot possibly be a basis for overriding and extending the strict time limits laid down by statute in the hope that the applicant can keep his foot in the door and, some time in the future, something might turn up."

It would do nothing other than create "anxiety and concern" for those involved in the case, particularly the 12 victims of his crimes, he continued.

He said: "They need to come to terms with the closure of these appalling offences and, if we were to grant an adjournment, we would be impeding and inhibiting that process.

"In those circumstances, the application is refused."

The trial heard that he had picked up his lone victims in London's West End and given them sedative-laced alcohol, claiming he wanted to celebrate big lottery or casino wins, before assaulting them.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Bexley Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists