Search

Blaze report won’t be much help’

PUBLISHED: 12:15 22 May 2008 | UPDATED: 14:50 25 August 2010

A YEAR on from the Cutty Sark fire, its chief has admitted feeling indifferent towards the police's tardiness in solving the mystery blaze.

A YEAR on from the Cutty Sark fire, its chief has admitted feeling indifferent towards the police's tardiness in solving the mystery blaze.

Richard Doughty, chief executive of the Cutty Sark Trust, said he is not expecting a report from the police any time soon on the cause of the fire that happened on May 21 last year.

The trust has raised £39 million towards restoring the ship but still needs another £3.7 million to finish, after the fire set them back £10 million.

Mr Doughty said: "I don't know when the police will finish the investigation.

"It makes little difference to me now. When they do get aro und to publishing the report, it will hopefully help us with some publicity for our fundraising."

Engineers plan to winch the clipper's 350 tonne iron frame three metres into the air in August, where it will be permanently suspended.

If the Cutty Sark trust raise the remainder of their funding target, the ship is expected to be completely reconstructed with masts and rigging in early 2010.

To donate to the restoration project, visit http://www.justgiving.com/cuttysarkfire

jules.cooper@archant.co.uk

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Bexley Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists