Search

Brutal killing took just 90 seconds’

PUBLISHED: 10:28 08 July 2010 | UPDATED: 18:05 25 August 2010

A 22-year-old man was killed in just 90 seconds when a group of teenagers got out of a taxi and set upon him with a knife and hammer, a court heard.

A 22-year-old man was killed in just 90 seconds when a group of teenagers got out of a taxi and set upon him with a knife and hammer, a court heard.

Moses Nteyoho, of Chalcombe Road, Abbey Wood, was subjected to a "brutal attack" as he walked along with a friend on the Tavy Bridge estate in Thamesmead, on October 30 last year, an Old Bailey jury was told on Monday.

He was chased by five youths, aged 16 and 17, armed with at least one knife and a hammer and left to bleed to death from his wounds, it is claimed.

Jurors were told the killers had travelled four miles by taxi from Woolwich to the scene. They got out of the cab after it parked alongside the Tavy Bridge elevated walkway and returned only a minute and 30 seconds later.

Prosecutor Max Hill QC said: "Moses Nteyoho was approached by these males as he walked along Tavy Bridge with his friend, Simon Olweny-Otim.

"Both were chased, Simon escaping just as Moses was cornered beside construction hoardings on one side of the bridge.

"Moses was subjected to a brutal attack by more than one of the five passengers, who were armed with weapons including at least one knife and one hammer.

"He was left for dead, and the five passengers made off just as they had arrived - by taxi.

"The law does not require the Crown to prove a motive. In fact, there is nothing to suggest he was anything other than a wholly innocent defenceless victim possibly in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"This was a brutal group attack by assailants who went deliberately to Tavy Bridge with gloved hands and armed with weapons.

"Their behaviour, the instantaneous attack on the deceased, indicate violence was their sole reason for going to the bridge."

Four youths, three aged 17 and one aged 16, all from Woolwich, deny murdering Mr

Nteyoho, together with a fifth unknown suspect who is not on trial.

Three of the youths on trial left the country shortly after the murder, the court heard.

The four defendants, who cannot be named because of their age, deny murder. The trial continues.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Bexley Times