Business reacts following Erith gas leak
PUBLISHED: 13:40 24 November 2015 | UPDATED: 13:40 24 November 2015
The gas leak on Church Manorway led to the evacuation of 200 people
A gas leak in Erith last week led to hundreds of people being evacuated from local businesses.
On Thursday, November 17, Church Manorway was closed after a “gas emergency”.
Six fire engines and 35 fire fighters were on scene to deal with the leak from a high pressure main, after they were called at around 9.30am that morning.
A 200 metre hazard zone was set up after more than 200 people were evacuated from local businesses.
One business based on the road, WT Henley, saw more than 60 people evacuated from their premises.
A spokesperson from the business claimed there was a calm reaction from the evacuees.
They said: “Everything went as well as can be expected, we were ushered out of the building quickly.
“The fire services were very helpful, we spent around three hours at the local church and were informed of everything going on.
“All of our staff were evacuated, between 60 and 70 of us on the day, and we were all able to come in the next day.”
The road was temporarily closed by Southern Gas Network, before it partly reopened on Friday, and then fully reopened on Saturday.
In a statement released on the day SGN said: “We are currently dealing with a gas emergency on Church Manorway.
“Our work is continuing tonight on the repair which is required. Part of this procedure has meant we’ve had to close the slip road on to the A2016 at its junction with Church Manorway.
“This is necessary so that we can access the section of our network which links up to the pipe which is damaged.”
On Saturday an SGN announced the reopening of the road, and thanked drivers using the road for their patience.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.