Cage fighter Lee Murray’s Securitas raid sentence increased by 25 years after appeal failed

PUBLISHED: 10:43 02 December 2010

Lee Murray pictured in title fight against Brazilian Silvas. Credit: Jules Annan/Retna Pictures.

Lee Murray pictured in title fight against Brazilian Silvas. Credit: Jules Annan/Retna Pictures.

Jules Annan / Retna Pictures

A cage fighter jailed for 10 years for masterminding an audacious £53 million robbery has had his sentenced increased to 25 years.

Lee Murray, from Sidcup, was jailed in Morocco for a decade for his part in a raid at a Securitas cash depot in Tonbridge, on February 21 2006.

Kent Police announced on Tuesday that Murray failed in his appeal to have his sentence reduced and that prosecutors had their appeal against his sentence being too lenient upheld. A judge in the Moroccan capital Rabat, where Murray is in prison, consequently handed him another 15 years.

A police spokesperson said: “Yesterday one of our officers had it confirmed that at a hearing in Rabat, Lee Murray had his appeal against his sentence dismissed.

“The prosecution, however, had their appeal against his sentence being too lenient upheld and he was sentenced to 25 years’ imprisonment.”

Last June the Moroccan authorities refused to extradite Murray after establishing his Moroccan nationality. Since then detectives worked closely with their overseas colleagues to ensure Murray does not escape justice.

He was held in prison since his arrest at a Rabat shopping centre, several months after the raid, and has already served time for drug-related offences. In October last year, Murray’s trusted lieutenant Paul Allen was jailed for 18 years for his part in the robbery.

The 31-year-old, originally from Plumstead was sentenced at Woolwich Crown Court after pleading guilty to conspiracy to commit robbery, conspiracy to kidnap and conspiracy to possess a firearm.

Allen pleaded guilty on the basis that he was not at the depot on the day of the robbery or part of the gang who kidnapped the Dixons.

Five other men were sentenced in January 2008 for their part in the raid to a total of 140 years imprisonment. These were Stuart John Royle, 49, a car salesman from Maidstone, Jetmir Bucpapa, 26, from Tonbridge, Lea John Rusha, a roofer, 35, from Tunbridge Wells, Ermir Hysenaj, 28, a post office worker, from Crowborough, East Sussex and Roger Coutts, 30, a garage owner, of The Green, Welling.

A team of 100 police officers and support staff were assigned to the inquiry.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Bexley Times