Search

Call this a collection service? It’s rubbish

PUBLISHED: 16:48 12 August 2009 | UPDATED: 17:02 25 August 2010

IT’S BIN TERRIBLE: Peter Muir waited two weeks with rotting food.

IT’S BIN TERRIBLE: Peter Muir waited two weeks with rotting food.

ROTTING gourmet food thrown out during a power cut attracted flies and maggots after workers failed to collect it for nearly two weeks.

ROTTING gourmet food thrown out during a power cut attracted flies and maggots after workers failed to collect it for nearly two weeks.

Pensioner Peter Muir, 73, was forced to throw out £700 worth of thawed food following the power cut at Dartford's substation last month.

But the council failed to collect the "putrid" rubbish - which included decomposing lobster, pheasant, prawns and steaks - from his home in First Avenue, Bexleyheath, despite promising a special collection two weeks ago.

The former army chef's chest freezer was packed with gourmet food which he froze after his health deteriorated and had to eat microwave food provided by the council.

The disabled great-grandfather said: "I am disabled so I could not get my bin collected on Wednesday July 29 as workers from Age Concern could only help me the following day. The council said to put the food in the green bin and they would collect it on Thursday July 30. That was two weeks ago. It has gone absolutely rank. The place is full of flies and maggots.

"I have been in touch with them every second day. They said someone from that service would call me but they haven't.

"It is putrid. I have to have care workers put my rubbish out but they won't go near the wheelie bin because of the flies and the smell so I have black bags in my kitchen.

"I am very annoyed."

The former landscape gardener who had a stroke in 2001 now suffers from fits, and last had one on Monday.

He said: "I had to call the ambulance crew to pick me up off the floor.

"It is making me feel ill all together. I am not doing well at all.

"I think the way the council has behaved is a disgrace."

l It was only after the Times contacted the council that any action was taken.

A spokesperson for Bexley council said: "We are sorry that Mr Muir did not have the collection he was promised. This was collected on Tuesday and a recycling warden visited him to apologise personally.

Most Read

Latest from the Bexley Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists