Coke addict knifed trio over terror threat’

PUBLISHED: 15:53 10 December 2008 | UPDATED: 15:48 25 August 2010

A CRAZED drug addict stabbed a teenager to death in the belief he was an Al Qaeda terrorist planning to blow up Bluewater Shopping centre, a court heard.

A CRAZED drug addict stabbed a teenager to death in the belief he was an Al Qaeda terrorist planning to blow up Bluewater Shopping centre, a court heard.

Lee James, 32, was high on cocaine when he murdered 18-year-old Faridon Alizada and knifed his two 16-year-old friends at a crack den in Erith, it is claimed.

He burst into the flat screaming: "You f*****g Somalians, you want to ruin my country, you want to blow up my country, you want to sell drugs in my country. This is what you get."

James later told friends that the three youths had offered him money to blow himself up

at Bluewater.

Jurors heard that the three victims, two of whom were Afghani, were all affiliated with the notorious street gang the 'Woolwich Boys'.

They dealt drugs from a one-bedroom flat in Verona House in Larner Road, Erith, and James was a regular customer before the attack on January 5 this year.

One of the 16-year-old victims claimed James, together with his friend Michael Harwood, 33, burst into the flat swearing and demanding money.

The teenager said James 'lost the plot' and started ranting about Somalians before lashing out with the knife.

Prosecutor Anthony Leonard QC told the court: "Lee James stabbed Alizada in the neck and the chest.

"Alizada died before he could receive medical attention."

One of the 16-year-olds was stabbed "in the neck downwards towards the spinal chord" and the other was slashed in the back and on the shoulder blade, it is claimed.

Jurors were told that following the attack, James - who also used the last names Peacock and Cantwell - told people "he had robbed, murdered and stabbed the occupants of the flat".

"He told others he believed that the men in the flat were supporters of Al Qaeda and that they had offered him money to act as a suicide bomber to blow up the nearby Bluewater Shopping Centre," Mr Leonard added.

"It is claimed on his behalf that at the time he did those things he was suffering from a psychotic episode as a consequence of his illicit substance abuse such that he cannot be held fully responsible for what he did."

It is alleged Harwood, nicknamed 'Dyson' because of his coke habit, repeatedly punched the younger teenagers during the attack.

James, formerly of Sutherland Road, Erith, and Harwood of Willowcroft, Lee Park, deny murder and two counts of wounding with intent.

The trial continues.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Bexley Times