Council launch fortnight-long campaign encouraging more people to become foster parents
PUBLISHED: 12:09 08 May 2017 | UPDATED: 12:26 08 May 2017
Anyone can foster as long as they have a spare room in their house and are over 21 years of age
The London Borough of Bexley are joining the national campaign Fostering Fortnight from today, in a bid to encourage more people to be foster parents.
From May 8-21 teams from the borough will be out across Bexley looking for people that could become foster carers and make a difference to a child or young person’s life.
The campaign this year, focuses on the fact that being a foster carer is a career different from any other, and no two days are the same.
Foster carers can be single, married, gay or straight. They can own or rent their home. They may have a young family, an empty nest or have no chidren. They need a spare room, and the skills to care and support a child who cannot live with their own family, whether short or long term.
The London Borough of Bexley provides a training package, and help throughout the application process. Training continues once a person becomes a foster carer and a network of other carers are available for peer support.
Twenty-six foster carers in Bexley recently received recognition from Mayor Val Clark for their long service.
The length of service recognised ranged from five to 25 years and represented 260 combined years of fostering experience.
The recruitment team will be on hand to discuss Foster Caring in Bexley at the following -
- 8– 9 May – The Mall, Broadway, Bexleyheath – 10am-5pm
- 10 May – Information evening, Civic Offices – 7-9pm
- 11 May - Morrison’s Erith – 10am-4pm
- 12 May – Central Library, Bexleyheath - 10am-4pm
- 13 May – Foster Carer Recruitment Fun Day, Danson Youth Centre – 2-4pm
- 15 May - Sidcup Library – 10am-4pm
- 16 May – Morrison’s Erith – 10am-4pm
- 17 May – Crayford Library – 10am-4pm
- 18 May – Asda, Belvedere – 10am-4pm
- 19 May – Thamesmead Library – 10am-4pm
- 20 May – St Barnabus Church, Bexley
For more information visit bexley.gov.uk/fostering or call 020 3045 4400