Search

Council responsible for Camber Sands considers lifeguard provision following the death of three Bexleyheath men

PUBLISHED: 10:11 29 September 2016 | UPDATED: 10:21 29 September 2016

Credit: @Tashka4

Credit: @Tashka4

Archant

8,000 people have now signed a petition calling for lifeguards at the beach where five London men drowned

Bexleyheath teen Kenugen Saththiyanathan, 18. Picture: FacebookBexleyheath teen Kenugen Saththiyanathan, 18. Picture: Facebook

The East Sussex beach where three Bexleyheath men lost their lives may have a lifeguard next year, according to the local council.

Gurushanth Srithavarajah, 27 of Elsa Road, Welling, Kenugen Saththiyanathan, 18, and his brother Kobikanthan Saththiyanathan, 22, both of Normandy Way, Erith, died alongside Nitharsan Ravi, 22, and Inthushan Sriskantharasa, 23. They were pulled from the sea after they had visited Camber Sands on a day trip on August 24.

Nitharsan Ravi, 22, was a former Bexleyheath Academy student. Picutre: Dominic Lipinski/PA WireNitharsan Ravi, 22, was a former Bexleyheath Academy student. Picutre: Dominic Lipinski/PA Wire

22-year old Mr Ravi and brothers Kenugen and Kobikanthan Saththiyanathan, known as Ken and Kobi Nathan, were also former Bexleyheath Academy pupils.

Relatives of some of the men have criticised authorities for not having a lifeguard on duty, where more than 8,000 people have now signed a petition calling for lifeguards to man the popular beach during the busy summer months.

A safety review is now being considered by Rother District Council, although a decision has not yet been reached.

A council spokesperson said: “In light of recent tragic events and the changing profile of visitors to the beach, we are in the process of reviewing and considering all options for next year – including the provision of a lifeguard service.

“We will work closely with all relevant partners, including the police, coastguard, RNLI and SECAmb, to assess the options before a decision is made.”

After the tragedy, a temporary RNLI lifeguard service was put in place over the August bank holiday weekend to provide reassurance to the public.

Rother District Council have previously said that beach patrols are on duty to advise beachgoers of potential dangers.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Bexley Times