Bank worker who defrauded £61,000 from customer’s account escapes jail

PUBLISHED: 11:21 24 August 2010 | UPDATED: 12:32 24 August 2010

British Transport Police officers

British Transport Police officers


A bank worker who defrauded £61,000 from a customer’s account was given a 12 month suspended sentence, while his two accomplices also escaped going to prison.

Samuel Abu, 23, of Merlin Road, Welling, who worked in a bank in Bayswater, used his position to fraudulently open a second account for an overseas customer and obtain a cash card and PIN for the new account in March last year.

He then transferred £61,000 from the customer’s original account to the fraudulent account.

Abu was sentenced on Monday (23) to 12 months imprisonment suspended for two years with 300 hours community service after being found guilty of conspiracy to defraud, supplying articles for use in fraud and possession of articles for use in fraud after a five day trial at Southwark Crown Court in July.

This comes after his accomplice was caught with a bank card and documents in someone else’s name by British Transport Police (BTP) officers during a routine operation at Bethnal Green tube station in east-London, in March.

His accomplice, Mark Samson, 23, of Amwell View, Ilford, was sentenced to four months, suspended for two years, together with 100 hours of community service after being found guilty of conspiracy to defraud.

Samson, who posed as the legitimate account holder, opened the account and went into the branch to pick up the cash card and PIN from Abu.

A third man, Syed Shah, 25, of Dunedin Road, Leyton, was found guilty of four counts of possession of articles for use in fraud after he was also found to have received bank documents from Abu. He received eight months imprisonment suspended for two years, together with 120 community service.

BTP Detective Inspector Gabi Oresajo said: “CCTV evidence from the bank showed Abu going into an interview room with Samson when the account was set up, and again when the account was accessed two weeks later.

“Documents relating to other bank accounts, that should never have been removed from the bank were found at Abu’s house.

“It was a highly planned fraud and he tried to deny his criminality but CCTV evidence along with documents found on the men and computer evidence when the account was set up and accessed proved their guilt.”

All three men will be electronically tagged for the duration of their curfews.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Bexley Times