Sidcup stabbing victim drowned in own blood, court told
PUBLISHED: 10:51 06 January 2011
A married dock worker drowned in his own blood after having his throat cut on a busy riverside promenade, a court heard.
Kamaljit Singh Kalon, 31, from Sidcup, was stabbed and slashed 33 times during a fight next to an ice cream kiosk in Gravesend in the summer of 2003.
Baljinder Singh Kooner, 35, of no fixed address appeared at the Old Bailey on Tuesday for the start of a retrial after he fell ill during the first trial in June last year.
Prosecutor John Price said: “The story begins on a beautiful midsummer’s evening in Kent at about 8.15pm on July 10, 2003. The promenade area of Gravesend was thronging with people enjoying the summer weather.
“Suddenly in amongst them all, a violent struggle was observed to be taking place between three men next to an ice cream kiosk.
“It was within only a matter of moments of this violence starting that one of the three men was left on the ground dying, the victim of multiple stab wounds and his throat having been cut across its width.
“The other two men who left him there fled on foot from the scene.”
Mr Kalon, known as ‘Bobby’, was taken to Darent Valley Hospital but was pronounced dead.
Jurors heard he had a total of 33 knife wounds including 15 to the head and neck, nine to the torso, eight to the left arm and one to the right leg.
Mr Price added: “The fatal wound was a 7.5cm slash to the throat area of the neck which led to bleeding into the throat.
“In layman’s terms Bobby Kalon drowned in his own blood. There were also three fresh vivid bite marks to his right arm.’
Mr Kalon, who worked at the Royal Albert docks in east London, lived with his wife in Sidcup with her three children from a previous marriage.
Detectives quickly identified the two suspects, but they fled the UK on the Eurostar a few days later and it was only in 2007 that the first suspect, Guljinder Singh Gurewal, was arrested trying to smuggle himself back into the country illegally. He pleaded guilty to the murder and has already been sentenced.
Mr Kooner was detained in France after he was arrested at Charles de Gaulle Airport in October 2009 and was first put on trial last year.
Kooner, who denies murder, admits he was at the scene of the murder but denies taking part in the fatal attack.
The trial continues.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.