Swanley meat business sold chicken ‘unfit for human consumption’ to takeaways across London and south east
PUBLISHED: 16:17 28 September 2017 | UPDATED: 16:17 28 September 2017
The owner of the company has been jailed
Nearly 12 tonnes of chicken bound for takeaways around the south east has been destroyed after an investigation found it was “unfit for human consumption”.
An investigation by Sevenoaks District Council discovered the meat, being sold from a Swanley based business, was on its way to kebab shops, food manufacturers and other food businesses across London and the south east.
The business owner, Sukru Ahmet of East Rochester Way, Sidcup, used a converted concrete mixer to manufacture chicken doner kebab meat for his company, UK Chicken Doner & Poultry Ltd.
An investigation from the council discovered the 60-year-old had been selling the unsafe poultry since at least November 2014 from units at Upper Hockenden Farm in Maidstone Road, Swanley.
In November 2015, Ahmet told the council he intended to run a food business.
He was told he would need council approval, but Ahmet then told inspectors he would not be processing meat.
The following month, three inspections by environmental health officers discovered this wasn’t the case.
Despite a notice to stop, officers found and seized 11.75 tonnes of poultry in April 2016.
An investigation into Ahmet’s businesses found he had been trading under another name, United Meat and Poultry Suppliers, from November 2014 to December 2015, without the council’s approval.
Officers discovered meat past its use-by dates was ready to be sold, while other packages had no clear dates, and some products from Germany had been relabelled to claim they had been produced in the UK.
Officers also found a lack of records, including where meat had been processed, or when it had been frozen.
The discovery led to all 11.75 tonnes of chicken being incinerated.
In March, Ahmet plead guilty to 21 charges of breaching food safety and hygiene laws.
Today, (Thursday), Ahmet was jailed for four months and ordered to pay both the council’s and the court’s trial costs, totalling £11,880, with his company also given a £30,000 fine and made to pay the other half of costs, totalling £53,760.
A Prohibition Order to prevent Mr Ahmet from managing any food business in future was also granted.
Matthew Dickins, the cabinet member for direct and trading services, said: “This is one of the most serious breaches of food safety laws the Council has ever come across. Consumers must have confidence that their meat is prepared in a safe, approved environment and is fit for them to eat.
“Sukru Ahmet and his company had no regard for the food safety laws that exist to protect the public. The substantial fine and custodial sentence handed down by the court demonstrates the seriousness of the case.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.