Two men jailed for blackmail, false imprisonment and robbery of business owner

PUBLISHED: 11:29 22 September 2015 | UPDATED: 11:56 22 September 2015

Chan and Tse

Chan and Tse


Two men including one from Erith, were both jailed for nine years

Ken Chan of no fixed address and Ka Chun Tse of Park Crescent, Erith have been jailed for three concurrent nine year sentences.

On April 22 2014, Chan an employee under the name “William Poon” at a Chinese takeaway in Lambeth was fired after an altercation with the business owner.

Over a week later on April 30 2014, at around 2pm two men posing as police officers entered the restaurant and led the business owner upstairs after telling him to close for half an hour.

One of the “officers” stood downstairs with staff while the other was upstairs with the owner.

Around five minutes later, five people, including Chan, ran into the room armed with sticks, a stun gun and a chopper.

The men proceeded to beat the victim for the next ten minutes, whilst threatening him with the stun gun.

The victim was then shown a photograph of his home and threatened to kill his wife and children unless they were paid £54,000 within three hours.

The victim arranged for £5,000 to be lent to him, which the gang went to collect.

Detective Sergeant Nick White from Lambeth Borough said: “I would like to pay tribute to the victim and witnesses courage in coming forward, providing statements to police and attending court.

“Without them, these two men would not have been identified and jailed for their crimes”

After a complex investigation, police tracked Chan to an address in Enfield in February this year where they arrested him.

Further investigations led the police to an address in Park Crescent, Erith, where police managed to arrest Tse.

Two black police vests and a taser were also found at the address.

Both Tse and Chan were found guilty on charges of blackmail, false imprisonment and robbery, Tse was also sentenced on a firearms offence.

Both men received two nine year sentences and a seven year sentence, to run concurrently.

The judge commended the police for their work.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Bexley Times