Diwali candles cause Erith house fire
PUBLISHED: 11:38 14 November 2012
A house fire in Erith last night has been put down to candles being burned during Diwali celebrations.
The incident happened in Riverdale Road and half of the first floor of the property was damaged by the blaze.
Four engines and 20 firefighters from Erith, Plumstead and Bexley stations attended the scene just before 10.30pm and the fire was under control by 11.40pm.
Watch manager Stewart Button said: “The house was badly damaged and the two men who escaped were lucky to get out, as the property did not have a working smoke alarm.
“When using candles as part of a celebration it is very important to remember that when not used carefully, they can be very dangerous.”
The London Fire Brigade said it recommends keeping candles away from children, draughts or anything that can catch fire as well as putting them in fire resistant holders.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.