Duo jailed for torture

PUBLISHED: 11:32 25 June 2009 | UPDATED: 16:52 25 August 2010

A PROPERTY investor and his henchman have been jailed for a total of 14 years for torturing two brothers after a property deal went wrong.

A PROPERTY investor and his henchman have been jailed for a total of 14 years for torturing two brothers after a property deal went wrong.

Sanjeev Dhir, 34, of Lake Avenue, Rainham and righthand man Ranjit Gojra, 37, of Bedonwell Road, Belvedere, humiliated Haq and Mohammed Nawaz after tying the brothers to chairs at Dhir's north London offices.

Mohammed, 33, was hooded, stripped of his trousers and doused in alcohol to insult the teetotal Muslim.

A blow torch was also held to Mohammed's face and he was hit across the legs with a hammer.

Mohammed's head was also flushed down a toilet and whipped in the groin area with a length of rope.

Haq was also hooded, undressed and had an unidentified liquid poured over his head as Dhir's driver Greg Little, 30, of Highview, Gravesend, watched.

Snaresbrook Crown Court heard Dhir demanded £100,000 from Mohammed to release the brothers.

Dhir had lured the brothers to Wilmer Place, Stoke Newington, after a property deal involving Mohammed turned sour.

The brothers were bundled into a van and ferried along the M1 and M25 motorways via Heathrow and Chertsey, Surrey.

Hooded Mohammed was switched to Dhir's silver BMW M5 - driven by Little - where a metal object was placed to his temple and threats made on his life.

Petrified Mohammed believed he was going to be shot but was then ordered to lay face down as the high-performance car raced back to London.

The brothers were eventually dumped in Chelsea in the early hours of April 21, 2007 - bruised and swollen and wearing ripped clothing and no shoes

Mohammed and Haq were flung £40 by their attackers for fares home and warned: "Don't tell anyone."

Jailing both Dhir and Gojra for seven years Judge Simon Freeland said: "It is plain that only a substantial custodial sentence can be merited in this case."

Little was jailed for three-and-a-half years.

The three thugs denied abducting the Nawaz brothers but were convicted by a jury earlier this year.

Dhir claimed he took no part in the kidnapping, while Gojra denied assaulting their victims.

Little told the trial he acted 'under duress' from Dhir, but jurors rejected the claims.

Dhir, and Gojra were both convicted of two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, two counts of false imprisonment and two counts of kidnapping.

Little was convicted of two counts of kidnapping.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Bexley Times