Firefighters issue smoking safety reminder following Erith fire
PUBLISHED: 09:53 24 August 2018 | UPDATED: 09:53 24 August 2018
Firefighters have issued a smoking safety reminder after a fire at a block of flats in Callender Road in Erith last night.
Part of a four-roomed flat on the second floor of the five-storey block caught fire and around 60 people left the building before the arrival of the brigade.
One man was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation by London Ambulance Service crews.
The brigade’s fire investigators believe the fire was started by the unsafe disposal of smoking materials, such as a cigarette or match.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “We would rather people didn’t smoke at all but if they do, vaping is a safer option.
“If you do choose to smoke cigarettes, it is absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.
“If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life.”
Safety advice for smokers
.Make sure you have smoke alarms fitted in every room you regularly use in your home including in the hallways.
.Never smoke in bed
.Always ensure you stub out cigarettes properly and dispose of them carefully.
.Keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach.
.Never leave lit cigarettes or cigars unattended.
.Empty ashtrays carefully, ensuring all smoking materials are stubbed out and cold
The brigade’s 999 control officers took 31 calls to the fire.
The brigade was called at 9.41pm and the fire was under control at 11.06pm.
Six fire engines and around 40 firefighters from Erith, Plumstead, Sidcup and surrounding fire stations attended the scene, as well as colleagues from Kent Fire and Rescue Service.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bexley Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.